1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Tour VB-2 All Tube head. need comments!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybasstexas, Sep 3, 2008.

1. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    Maybe purchasing. give me your reviews, stories, anything about it!

thanks!

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I've heard good things about it, its supposed to be loud, etc.

Not as loud as the Ampeg, and the overdrive channel sounds terrible IMO.

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I was able to demo one recently. I loved the amp. I actually like the overdrive channel.

Not to mention its light. I don;t remember the specs, but its got to be around 40-50LBS. I didn't like it so much through my Dr. Bass 2460 but it sounds amazing through an Ampeg SVT410HLF.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    P.S, I dig your band. Do you have a CD/music available.

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    thanks!!! eh, not yet. we're working on it! we're saving up to record a full EP.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I played with one at GC and liked it. It was through a matching Peavey 410. I prefer the tone from my V4BH, but the VB-2 has ALOT more volume, and I thought it sounded pretty nice. Didn't check the OD on it.

7. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I know it is made in China, at least that is what it said on the back of it.

Sorry, but that is all I know about that particular head.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    NOT.

The VB2 is made in the US.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm a very happy Ampeg V4b owner. But feeling that 'someday' I might need more headroom I've been looking for a more powerful tube head. Based on the great reviews that the head got, as well as Peavey's overall reputation I ordered one from the Guitar Center. The head arrived and I plugged into my 1x15 8 ohm cabinet, making sure the head was set properly. I tried the head out and A/B'd it against an SVT CL I was also considering for purchase. The head worked great and sounded good. The next day, I turned the head on and it was dead. Power light on but no sound. Tested it w/ my 4ohm MM212 (making sure of the proper settings) and got zero. Returned the head to the GC and ordered another one. A week later the new head comes in. I plug into the same cabinet, and the head works great. No problem. Next day, I turn it on and got nothing. Head is DOA. Being a nervous nelly, I returned the head to the GC for a refund and canceled my order.

FWIW, I probably just got very unfortunate, and I sincerely believe that these are probably going to be very popular. The head seemed very sturdy, well priced and quite loud. I didn't think it had as much bottom as the SVT but then again neither head had as good a tone (IMO) as the V4b.

YMMV.

10. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I own a VB-2.
    I've had it a couple months and have played 13 gigs on it. I believe mine is one of the first made.

1. It is made in USA. Mine says made in USA on the back. The China story is untrue. I read that Peavey intended to make that amp in China but the Chinese factory didn't have it's act together so Peavey scrapped that plan and decided to make it in Meridian Mississippi, USA. From the very first one, the VB-2 has been made in USA.

2. It sounds GOOD. It is POWERFUL. Not as powerful as my SVT Classic but still VERY powerful. I play it thru two SWR Goliath III 4x10 cabs and it is MORE than powerful enough to cut through our loud drummer and my guitar players Revera Knucklehead 120W thru 2 Marshall 1960 4x12 cabs. Even at that volume the VB-2 is not overdriven. It has good grind but not clipped. It is a ballsy amp. BTW, I only use the clean channel. The high gain channel is ok but I use pedals for songs where I use distortion.

3. It has a somewhat different character than my SVT Classic or my 1978 SVT but a lot of commonality too. They all have that big tube amp sound: ballsy, clear, transparent, good grind. The SVT can be a bit cleaner but I wouldn't call the VB-2 sound "dirty" either. I think the difference might be el34 power tubes vs. 6550. I like the VB-2 a bit more for small to medium size rooms because I can turn it up and get it pumping/breathing more than either SVT.
    Re Pedro's comments on low-end, it's true it doesn't have as much low end capability as an SVT but my SVTs have way more low end that I can use so I'd say the SVT's eq is unrealistically voiced. On my SVT I usually run the lows around 30 to 40%. On my Vb-2 I usually run the lows around 50%. Pedro, that's a drag that two VB-2 have died on you - weird.

4. For you techies, one distinguishing feature of the VB-2 is it's HUGE power supply. The power transformer is ENORMOUS (bigger than an SVT's) and it has 4x the capacitance on the plate supply as a 70's SVT. I haven't put it on my test bench yet (I'm an EE) but I don't think that plate supply sags at high output levels. The output transformer is also very large. I have VB-2 schematics in pdf form for anyone who's interested.

5. I never thought I'd play through a Peavey but the VB-2 reminds me to never say never. The VB-2 is an awesome amp. It reminds me of a big Hiwatt 200 but in truth the VB-2 is probably way better.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Adding to KPAX comments, I barely noticed any power differences between the SVT and PV.

12. Suddenly I have incredible GAS!!! Thanks a lot! :help:

13. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    I am happy to hear the VB-2 is made in the USA. I had heard conflicting reports saying China then Vietnam. The price is very competative when compared to other models in its class.(not that there are that many LOL). I really can't wait till my GC gets one in so I can try it.

14. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I don't think you can go wrong with this amp. I've had my VB-2 for a couple of months now. I love it! I've been playing through various Epifani cabs (UL2-410, two UL2-112's, two UL2-110's), and the sound is crisp, tubey, and still really articulate.

I like the fact that it's loud, but I really like the tonal variety you can get with the amp! The midrange frequency selector switch gives the amp so many "personalities," and every one sounds really good!

I also didn't think I'd ever own a Peavey product, but this amp is too good to pass up! I can hardly wait for my new Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 115 to arrive. I think that'll add a new dimension to the sound!

By the way, in an effort to avoid dinging the amp, I had Susan at StudioSlips design a clamshell-style bag for the VB-2. It's double-padded Cordura nylon that zips across the top-front, down both sides, and toward the back. It has two handle slots on the top, a zippered pouch sewn in the back for cords and stuff and two leather pads on the bottom. It looks and works great!

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I had a bit of bad luck myself with the VB-2--though it wasn't as bad as Pedro's. I went to the Chicago GC a couple months ago and they had a VB-2 on the floor. I drop in every 2-3 weeks (it's within walking distance), so it couldn't have been there long. Anyway, eager to try it out, I powered up, made sure everything was set right, took it off standby after a couple minutes and...nothing. The sales guy and i substituted everything we could think of, but no dice. So he had it serviced--the next couple times I came in, it wasn't there. Then I came back and the head (presumably the same one) was there again. Went through the same routine, but got no sound even after all manner of double-checking and substitutions. That was about 6 weeks ago, haven't seen the amp on the floor since. (Maybe it got repaired properly and was snatched up?)

It probably is a great amp. Certainly, when PBG gave it a strong endorsement, I really took notice. And in my experience, Peavey justifiably has a good rep for reliability--I have a TNT 130 combo I bought new in '86 that served me very well for years. So chalk our experiences up to a couple aberrations, I guess.

16. Can someone contrast the Peavey VB-2 with the Traynor YBA-200?

17. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    If they are made in the US then they should take down the video of Dave Ellefson using one made in China.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Huh?

19. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    If you watch carefully he turns the head around and it says "Made in China" "Designed in USA." Check around 2:40.

20. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    is it just me, or did he say 13 12ax7 preamp tubes? :rolleyes: i'm surprised no one at peavey noticed that.

can anyone compare this amp to the Fender Bassman 300 Pro (Sunn 300T)? i'm caught between the two, and i like that the Bassman has a blend knob.