1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey VB-2 Cab Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MN_Bass, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I currently have a vintage ampeg 8x10 that I run my Vb-2 love the sound, but not the size and I won't have the means to haul around anymore, my truck is going to die.

My new ride is a 06 Chev Aveo 4 Dr. , and a 02 Chev Cavalier 2Dr.

I have a possible good deal on a Carvin 2x12 Neo, they only made them a short while. Would this be a good match? I like lots of mids.

Or would
    or 2 1x12 Cabs
    or 2 2x10 Cabs

Looking in the $???- $500 Range.

I play a P bass and a Ric 4003.

Any help would be appreciated. :p

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    My pal played my VB-2 through his 70's V4B cab last night and it sounded AMAZING. But that cab makes an SVT cab look small so that's probably not much help!

3. MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah it sounds great with larger cabs for sure, need one that sounds good but can get around in my micro cars.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think a good 212 would sound great, or, dare I say it,....a 15.

5. MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Do you think a single 15 would sound muddy? I am pitted against two gui****s with marshall halfstacks.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Muddy, no. But maybe not enough volume. A 212 would certainly be louder. I just like the sound of tubes through a 15. And, I'm guessing a 2x15 would be too big for you, since you're downsizing from an 810.

7. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Yesterday i compared a Schroeder 1212 and Bergantino 1x12 with tweeter sittin on top of berg 1x12 no tweet.....to make an even comparison.
    What i found was the Bergs r almost completely flat with no honky nodes. Boost or cut what ever you want. I aint sure thats the way to go tho.. as it took some bit of doing to find the sound i was looking for.
    The Schroeder on the other hand????? :bassist::bassist::D
    Plugged in and it was INSTANT love!
    I like good strong mids and a solid bottom. With my hartke 5500 set completely flat i loved it. Then the salesman (Mike@basscentral) was cool enuff to show me you can completely change the character of the cab by moving ONLY the 250 slider. Really ballsy...took a good thrashing. I'm not sure 1 of them would stay with 2 half stacks.....but i bet 2 would kick their arses:p
    most people lay these cabs on their sides. i think your vb-2 would size wise be perfect sitting on it. (not hanging over the cab)
    I think you could easily put 2 of them in the back seat of either of your small cars. I know i could put 2 in the back seat of a Honda 4 door civic....guitar either in the trunk or in between the the front and back seats on floor....amp head and gig bag in trunk!!!
    I think what u would have there be a very versatile, great sounding rig!! 1 cab for small game and 2 cabs for anything up to and including elephants!!
    And did i mention getting 30+ mpg and still got a seat for the mrs?:bassist:
    I also should mention i was comparing non neo cabs of both brands. There is nothing objectionable about the weight of either of them. the Schroes with reg speaks can easily be one handed as far as u need to go.

8. My VB-2 is paired with my Genz Benz Neo212T and it sounds great. It's just a little over your budget tho....:( Maybe borrow an extra couple of bucks

9. a good 15 or 2

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Then you need to invest in a trailer and not a smaller cabinet. BOB

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    An Avatar 2X12 will do a great job as a stand alone cab and will keep you within your budget. You will have to spend a lot more money to get better cab....But...What is the volume level like on those guitar half-stacks? If they are usually really loud on stage you are going to struggle with the VB-2 and a single 212 against those two guitar rigs. You may want to keep that 8 X 10.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would get two 210's in slightly oversized cabs. Two 210's can be stacked vertically and can do almost as much damage as an 810. Two 212's would also be good and get a little louder. I'm not feeling like you're into 15"s, and that's cool.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

14. MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the info guys and keep it coming, I like the idea of this smaller cab thing considering when I play out I have to drive my truck with gets negative mpg:) It would be nice to actually make some money. Any ideas for a head to top the cab, like a LM2 or Shuttle anything that I could get a comparable sound to what I'm used to with my VB-2.

15. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    I think if i went with 2 smaller cabs i would try them with the vb-2 b4 spending mucho dinero on "mini" head.
    ii believe your vb-2 would sit squarely on the the schroeder cabs and not hang over.
    With a cheap folding hand truck u could take everything, 2 cabs, vb-2, gig bag and guitar.
    And have the gui****s duckin for cover:bag::D