Peavey VB2 or Mesa M3 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zillo, Nov 8, 2011.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    OK...you play blues, 60's rock, Grateful Dead, folk rock, reggae, roots rock..(you get the picture) and you've got 900 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and your amp just kicked the bucket.

Which of the two amps would you choose, and why? Same price..225 tube watts, 300 ss watts. Excellent companies, both amps get good reviews. You don't have one extra cent over your 9 bills. Maybe something else? One last caveat..you want to go new.

Thanks for playing:)

2. Mesa Walkabout. 300w @ 4 ohms & will do 500 @ 2 ohms. Amazing amp. Otherwise, I'd probly go all tube.

Flaky Tuna likes this.
  3. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    I personally have not got that warm fuzzy feeling playing thru any of the Mesa Carbine series of amps. Again, it's just me. But, I actually thought the VB2 was worth EVERY penny they're asking. It's a fine little tube amp for the price! Just my 2 cents.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I love my Mesa M9, but it has died once, and had other issues. Mesa fixed it. All that considered, I'd try the VB2 or Mesa Walkabout.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd go with the Mesa. Having owned a VB2, it's not really worth its weight compared to the Carbine. The infamous internal fuse issue (which I too was a victim of) on the VB2 was a red flag for me at first, but I ignored it and ended up having to pay for it out of pocket. Now comparing a tube vs ss power section amp is an apples to oranges comparison for many folks, but Mesa does the best hybrid amp IMO. If the Carbine doesn't do it, then just get a VT bass pedal. My deluxe vt with a carvin bx500 runs circles around what my vb2 did...and it's WAY lighter too lol.

As far as tone goes, YMMV is a given...but I don't find the el34 tubes to make a very classic or "meaty" sounding power tube. The VB2 certainly isn't the worst amp on the market, but there are much better all-tube heads for around the same price. If you want ACTUAL all-tube vintage tone for around $900 then get a Traynor YBA200-2...selling that head was the biggest mistake of my life. For more money you have more options that are well-known and common heads. SVT classic, SVT vintage, Orange AD200B (kinda pricey), Eden WTB-300V, etc. You probably know this already as well, but if you go with a tube head then make sure you get a beefy cabinet and do it some justice!! 6x10s, 4x12s, 8x10s, 2x15s (my preference) will get the job done with change left over. IMHO, the mesa can make anything sing =)

***EDIT - +1 on the walkabout, definitely a fine amp

6. i was tossed between a mesa v12 and the peavey vb2. i went with the peavey vb2. To me it was alot warmer to my ears and didn't have that anemic solid state tone i always hear. The mesa was nice but didn't have the sound of a tube amp. Im happy with my decision it cost me 630 brand new out the door with 5 year warranty. With the peavey you should have way more than enough headroom for all bar gigs and outdoor shows.

7. fwiw i actually find the peavey better sounding than a traynor yba 200. I tried my buddies at a gig, while it sounded nice and all, didn't have enough low end for my taste. The peavey to my ears is alot louder and has way more low end to it than the traynor.

8. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Thanks for the thoughts..let me throw one more out there...the Tech 21 Landmark 300..does that get in the tubey warm ballpark?

9. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    No experience with that one. :(

10. ++1 on this.. I would also venture to say that it's too bad that the new 300 watt Traynor is so new that you won't see any used ones on the market. Traynor..Don't discount this option.

Marc

11. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That is basically an RBI and RPM sandwiched in with a power amp...which actually sounds quite awesome. Haven't played one myself but I did own an RPM hooked up to a power amp and it was a rig to be reckoned with. The RPM can have some seriously harsh breakup if pushed, but if you can find the sweet spot of unity gain with your bass/pedals then it's phenomenal. I wouldn't say that's a bad option at all, plus you are basically getting two amps in one since it has two channels.

Concerning the tube heads, it's a difficult spot to be in because all we can tell you about is our experiences and our tastes in amp heads. Low-mid or bass emphasis can mean "low end" to one guy and that same emphasis can mean "muddy and sloppy" to another guy. Your speakers play a LOT into this and don't get near the attention they should. The VB2 broke up too quickly for me, and not in a musical way. I could get more clean thump and grind from my YBA200-2 per pound of volume than I could with the VB2. The OD channel on the VB2 was also lacking in comparison to my BBM Pi that I had at the time, so I didn't bother with it much.

If volume is an issue, then don't beat around the bush with a VB2, I would just spend the little extra and get an ampeg. You can buy new or find some amazing deals on used ones in the classifieds here. The VB2 isn't a bad head, but it's like buying an expensive angus hamburger when you could spend a little more and get steak :meh:

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I always liked the Traynor YBA200-2, and also any power amp with a Tech21 RPM. If you want loud and light with a billion cubic tonnes of slam, get a Carbine M9 and cross your fingers!

13. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I just got a store clearance VB-2 for under $600 taxed and shipped. I was thinking of getting the Traynor but from what I have read is they don't have as much head room as the VB-2 and I really like the drive channel on the Peavey which the Traynor lacked. Not that the Traynor is a bad head and i will definitely consider it again if i buy another head in the future.

14. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    If you do decide to go Traynor check the GC used website they have them for cheap, you can get a warranty for it and still have money left over and from my understanding their extended warranties cover the tubes as well, at least that's what one sales person told me.

15. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To OP:

I would double-check this. Salespeople have been ASTRONOMICALLY wrong on things like this before. Tube coverage is rare and usually has a lot of fine print (IME), so make sure you check before shelling out the dough ;)

16. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Yea for sure check before you buy. They are actually wrong most of the time from my experience. I have even been told one minute that i could use a coupon then the next that the item in question didn't qualify and "yes that item has free shipping" to standard shipping will cost you $21 and change" so yea always double check. Especially anything you read on a forum. :smug:

17. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Alright, now I'm researching the Traynor. Unfortunately, there's no nearby spot to check it out. Sounds nice, though. I've always wanted a tube amp, and a vintagey amp fits my vintagey music taste...

18. i found the traynor lacked in volume and low end response compared to the peavey vb-2. The peavey was the winner for me when picking a new bass amp.

19. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The Traynor is probably gonna be lower in volume, but I prefer its tone, and it's got a nice grit when you start pushing it.

20. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    I'm a fan of the VB2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021