Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dansheep13, Oct 25, 2005.

1. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Uh, is there a set of barts that fits the grind? I have the four string version. I'm pretty sure it has the same size pickups as the five string.

Any EMG 40 series pickup will drop into the Grind.

3. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
  4. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Well, I'm not sure there is a set of barts that will fit the Grind. Unless you know for sure. Is there a set of EMG-40 sized barts? Because those will be the only ones that fit.

5. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    I really don't know but i'd appreciate if u wood have a look and tell me http://bartolini.net/ cheers

6. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
  7. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    Thanks. Do you reckon these pickups would be better than EMG's or is it all a matter of taste? I saw that you have a grind and was wondering what modifications you have made to it? How do you feel about the bass and what is the difference between the normal grind and the grind BXP NTB? Thanks for your help

8. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I have the BXP model, I don't know if that was clear in the signature.

I haven't modded it yet, but am considering it. I really don't know what I'd choose when given a choice between EMGs and barts. I might choose EMG just because they offer the EMG-40TW model that allows you to switch between single and dual coil modes. But overall I'm probably more of a Bart tone guy. It's a subjective thing for sure.

I really like the Grind, it's really great. Quality control can be hit-or-miss, so if you want to buy one, you should probably play it first (or do what I did and buy it from a Talkbass member who can vouch for it's quality). But mine is awesome, no fretbuzz or anything, super stable neck. The tone does leave something to be desired for me personally, but that's easily fixed.

Also, the Grinds are VERY woody sounding. They are a very good bass for jazz, and I've been complimented on it's stock tone by jazz musicians. They also said that it's got an amazing tone for chording.

9. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    I found a bartolini pickup that is 100mm x 36mm and is therefore only 2mm out each way. Would this make any substantial difference? You can check it out if you would like at http://bartolini.net/pdf/Pickup Drawings_wDims.pdf It's the BD model btw

10. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Sure, you could put that in, since you will have to drill new holes anyway to install any new pickup. No routing will be needed, but I think there may be some minor drilling.

There is an upgraded four string Grind for sale in the classifieds. The owner added EMGs. Maybe you can PM him and ask if he had to do any drilling?

But yeah, if you don't mind the 2mm of extra space, those pickups will work.

11. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    New holes would be required for active aircuitry though right? And I know this is probably a very simple question but what is the difference between active and passive pickups, not circuitry

12. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    No new holes would be neccesary for active electronics. Just to affix the pickups to the bass.

Active circuitry is just a preamp with passive pickups attatvhed to it. You could concievably install a preamp and still use the Grind's stock pickups.

Active pickups have the preamp built into the pickups. Not a big difference.

13. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    So I shood probably have passive pickups and active circuitry?

14. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    Also, could someone please explain the differences in sound between quad coil, dual coil, and split coil humbuckers so that I can decide on which to purchase

15. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    Anyone?

16. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    ???

17. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm pretty sure that the sound won't be drastically different between any of these.

18. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    Do you no which is more designed towrds slap and which is designed towards a more mellow sound?

19. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Quad coil maybe? Split coil is like a p-bass pickup, and dual coil is like a normal humbucker. Quad coil would probably be closer to a Music Man style pickup, which is what comes to my mind when I think slap. However, I hear that Bartolini's do not re-create a music man tone very well.

Over all, I think Barts are a kind of pickups that have a mellow tone.