1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavy Grind. Help with upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by irock, Aug 27, 2012.

1. irock

irock

Mar 12, 2007
    Newmarket On Canada
    I just bought a used peavy grind 6
    I really enjoy the feel of this bass but it needs work with the tone

First I want to change the bridge cause the original one blows. A friend of mine has a Kahler bridge for cheap. Good choice? Will it fit properly?
    Should I get a different kind?

Next thing is pickups. Should I change the pickups or keep pickups and add a preamp?
    What pickups fit or which preamp should I get?

For the time being I've been plugging an mxr di between the bass and amp for a boost and more tone color and that seems to be workingfor now

Any help will be great. I did a search on the forum but I really didnt get the answer i wanted

2. The Peavey Grind is a good skeleton to build on. More specifics (and photos) would help.

Why does the bridge blow? My Grind had individual saddles that were a pain to set intonation on, but wasn't a bad bridge system. Will the Kahler fit? Dunno. Kahler makes a bunch of different bridges and one of them may fit. Maybe even your friends.

About the electronics. The Grind is a one-trick pony. The only fix is new pups and preferably new pots and jack. Maybe a preamp. Check out online dealers (I have used Best Bass Gear a bunch), measure your pups. I think EMG makes drop in active replacements with pots and harness.

Good luck with your project!

3. the pickups in my old grind 6 were BORING. am a pretty strong anti-preamp advocate, but i would definitely try to find some pickups with personality.

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

As long as they haven't changed them since then, the pickup openings in the original Grind BXP 6's were standard EMG soapbar size.

Any aftermarket pickup in the EMG 45 shape will fit. That gives you a raft of options, from Aero to Bartolini to Norsdstrand to...

You don't have to go active, either, unless you want to.

5. irock

irock

Mar 12, 2007
    Newmarket On Canada
    Thanks for the help

I find the bridge fine but a pain to intonate. Ill probably just install the kahler

Im thinking of keeping this bass passive. Maybe go with the EMGs but i already have 2 basses with EMGs but not soapbars

Anybody else want to chime in?