Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pecanic Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by godoze, Jun 9, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Anyone using it ?

2. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    I thought about it, but I don't think it's gonna be tall enough for me. I thought Chris had said something about it at one point. There was a thread about it, I think.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Mike is gonna make one for me very soon. My main motive was teh fact that there are no bass luthiers in this damn country (Cyprus), so therefore, I can adjust the bridge arch myself rather than have the bridge shaped.

4. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    That was why I was thinking about it too. I'm planning on trying to do a bridge myself, and that bridge would save me some trouble.

5. MingusFingus
    I am in the same situation like you. No bass luthier in my country, either. That why I thinking about this bridge. Could you let us know the result when you are fitting this bridge?

Pongsak
    Bangkok, Thailand

6. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    my luth (Bob at Robertson's violins) told me not to worry about my tailpiece, to focus instead on the time tested components of bass setup like post placement, bridge setup/fingerboard etc. . .

7. Great Robin, but what about a Pecanic bridge?

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I think it's an interesting idea, but if the curvature of the fingerboard doesn't change I would think that so many screws would make string height adjustments more of a pain than a pleasure. But then, I'm just thinking about using the bow, and it's all speculation rather than experience I'm sharing here.

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Definetely, and I can see your point. But where there is no bass luthier around, I don't see a more viable solution. But also all-around it seems like a great idea anyway.....we'll see once I get it installed

10. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I was asking him about that bridge specifically at the time that i was getting about $2K worth of setup work done, he just was uninterested. The attitude was something like: "We spend all day making the worlds best violins and basses sound better- and this isn't something we worry about." I'm not saying it would have no impact- just that they didn't even want to mess around with it. he laso told me that "it could sound better, it could sound worse." I'm sure if they thought it made a diffference they would be putting on new tailpieces left and right- and they're not. I guess the only way to know for sure would be try it though. Why don't you put one on a bass and find out? I'd come hear it if you thought it worked. they're only a few bills.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    uh, this is not a thread about tailpieces...

12. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i asked him specifically about the pecanic tailpiece and it's adjustable saddles/ compensated positions, and that was the reply. I was having some problems getting the low end on my E bigger and inquired whether this would help, he was skeptical as he had tried a compensated piece (althought not a pecanic one) and had unfavorable results with string tension- he thought it made it worse. I would have plunked down the $ for one of those things if he hadn't talked me out of it. Is the pecanic tailpiece different somehow then any other tailpiece that is compensated- this is not a brand new idea is it?

13. This is Still not a thead about tailpieces (except for Robin)!

14. Oh Robin....Are you doin' those same drugs, or are these something new? The thread concerns Mike's adjustable bridges. :crying:

15. Once you get the bridge set like you want it, it must be very weird looking down at it...all those different angles.
    As in all bridge set ups, unless you don't bow, once you get it set right in terms of pizz for jazzers and such, you still gotta worry aboutr bow clearance!

16. Josh, and Fingers...what are you gonna do about fitting the bridge feet to the arching on the top? The old carbon paper trick??
    If you're not experienced with shaping bridge feet, you could make a carbon scratching of the arching and Mike could even do that for you.

17. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have hit rock bottom- i will be checking into rehab, so i will write when all is better . . . . sorry! I'm sure their great bridges . .

18. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

Great idea! I would trust Mike doing it blindly from afar more than this damn guy that's in my country

19. For those who don't know, Robin and I are practically neighbors here in the Denver area..
    As a matter of fact, he was over here at my home not long ago so I could see, hear and play his new (to him) Hawkes. It's a big beautiful one with a splendid even sound. Looks great as well!
    Get some rest man!

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Earth to Robin ! Paul did he get to play your bass ?