1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal board cable kit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 1954bassman, Dec 29, 2011.

Which cable kit would you go with (or not)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2011.
  1. George Ls's

13.3%
  2. Lava

20.0%
  3. Planet Waves

33.3%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I would not use solderless caables

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I just built a pedal board using:

GATOR GPT board
    Sennhieser IEM transmitter
    Sennhieser Wireless receiver
    MarkBass Compressore
    Radial JDI
    Bass A/B
    small tuner

I would really like to clean up the patch cable, and was thinking of getting one of those kits for the job. I see Planet Waves, George Ls, and Lava all make 'solderless' patch cable kits. I was curious what you guys are using, and why or why not?

2. This is great that you posted this because I was just searching the forums for the same thing! Thanks for asking it for me :)

3. I voted Planet Waves. I got 5 plugs and some wire a while back and really like it. I havn't used another brand. The PW plugs are kinda big, the "slim" ones are better but still bigger than say LAVA or GeorgeL, I don't really mind.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I make up all my own cables, but have never used solderless plugs. Maybe I should buy one of these kits and give them a try.

5. i picked "i would not use solderless cables"

why?

BECAUSE SOLDERING MAKES ME HAPPY AND IM A ELECTRONICS STUDENT

me likes the solder

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The solderless kits are all pretty good, but if you plan to rearrange your board much you'll want to apply some thread-lock to keep the screws from vibrating loose.

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I use soldered cables whenever possible but there are sometimes runs needed that are longer than a 6" or 1' cable and far shorter than a 3' cable. In those cases I use Planet Wave cables. I've tried George L's and I've had three fail after following the directions completely. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'll never use them again. Planet Waves have always been reliable for me.

8. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Well I went with the Planet Waves - found a deal on Amazon. I will let you know how it turns out. :meh:

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Funny you should mention that; I recently experienced trouble with my board and traced it to a failed George L cable. :meh:

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    One failure was a flat out no signal failure, but the other two were intermittent distortion type failures. I thought my pedals were going bad, but traced it to the cables. The only problems I've had with Planet Waves were if I didn't get them built right initially. But after they "work", I've had no failures ever.

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I've used the same solderless 18' George L's small gauge cable as my main cable for over 4 years and used shorter runs for patch and other uses. Never had a single problem.

12. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    The Planet Waves cable kit worked like a charm. Very simple to put together, and very professional looking. So far to problems or failures.

13. mikeythekid

mikeythekid

Aug 24, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering
    I was using the george L's for a while but my sound started cutting out every once in a while until I traced it back to them. Now I use mogami cables and will never look back. Solid and soldered!

14. flashboom

flashboom

Apr 4, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I've had a similar problem with a George L cable. I got one free with the purchase of a Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter. It worked fine for one session and then went dead for no apparent reason. I picked up a Live Wire cable at GC today but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one having problems with George L's though I wonder what it is that makes them fail so frequently.

15. I have used the planet wave cable kit with no problems. The risk is there due to design, but so far, they have worked flawlessly. However, I'm gently with them. I'm sure if someone where to yank on them, they would fail rather fast.