Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal MA's Draw

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 5, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right I'm really stuggling here to figure out all my pedals current draw.

the ones I can't find information on are.

Maneco Nanolooper
    Dod FX25
    Custom Guitar Noise Dirtbox
    Aria FL-10
    MXR Bass DI
    MXR Bass Auto Q
    Danelectro Cool Cat (18v version)
    Crowther Prunes & Custard
    DOD FX35 Octoplus
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz

So if any one knows there current draw it would be much appreciated

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im sure he would do if he could.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So help me out how many Centimetre's in a Milliamp :eyebrow:

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Sorry if "measure" wasn't the appropriate word...

Just buy a multimeter, about 20$. Use it as a amperemeter. It won't be as easy as pluging it, but with some wires you should do it.

It's really thre simpliest way, it you don't find this elsewhere. And you will allways have use for a multimeter.

6. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    It's easy - all you need is a multimeter, a 9v battery and a patch cable. Oh, and the pedal, of course.

Unplug the battery connector and put it back on sideways, so only the negative (-) pole is connected. Plug a cable into the input jack - to turn the pedal on - and measure (multimeter set to DC, 100-200 mA) between the open battery pole and the open receptor in the connector. Use the multimeters' red wire on the battery positive, and the black wire on the connector. The reading you will get is the "bypass" figure.

To get the "active" reading, things get slightly tricky. With the measuring probes still on the battery/receptor, click the switch to put the pedal in "active" mode. The trick is to not let the measuring probes lose contact - that will cause the pedal to shut off, and when it receives power again, it will be back in "bypass" mode.

You don't have to input any signal (thank God - you'd need an extra pair of hands to hold the probes in position and play at the same time), as most pedals draw full power as soon as they turn on. The Boss TU-2 is the only exception I've seen so far...

I got that from here -> http://members01.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/power/measure.htm

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can use alligator clips to extend your probes and secure them better to the poles. If you get long enough wires you'd be free to stomp on your boxes with your foot.