1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal to beef up my sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Feb 24, 2008.

1. I'm looking for something that will make my Jazz deep and punchy im lookin for something that when you play it the noise punches you in the face....now i know im probably not going to get that but i want to get as close as possible cause in my band im fighting over 2 distorted guitarists and i need to be able to punch through.

and no...more speakers is not an option..

Thanks in advance!:bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    maybe... boost the mids on your EQ? that's free!

3. Yeh Mon

Yeh Mon

Sep 13, 2007
    Northern Cal
    Endorsing Artist: Thunderfunk, Dr. Bass, Jan-Al Road & Touring Cases
    BBE Sonic Stomp. It will do the job bro. :cool:

4. mids all the way up O.O

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    all the way up? sounds like you need a new amp.

BTW... i wouldn't get the Sonic Stomp. the guy at Bass Emporium call it the Speaker Blower for a reason.
    it's designed to put in frequencies that either aren't there, or that your head and cab can't reproduce in the first place. doesn't sound very safe to me...

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'd point you to a Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal or possibly an Aguilar db924. No mod to your bass but they definately would give you more tonal options without a lot of fuss.

:bag:Sorry for the shameful plug but I have an Aguilar db924 preamp for sale at a reasonable price.

7. a sansamp tech 21 bass driver helped me alot.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    eq and some carefully applied compression.

9. Get a BBMax Tube Pre and a good sized poweramp then report back

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    The problem is 100% your amp. I don't know what kind of amps your guitarists are using, but I can't imagine they would be small enough that your 80watt amp could keep up. A good rule of thumb is to add your guitarists' amps power rating, then multiply by 3-5 to get the amount of power your amp should have. If they each are using 40 watts, you need at least 300.

I alway think it is a bad idea to use pedals to try to fix a deficiency in your amp or bass. A Sonic Stomp is a bad idea, because it just boosts lows and highs (I know about the phase thing, too, but the most prominent effect of exciters is additional highs and lows). This will not make you cut through at all, it will probably contribute to even more unintelligible sound.

Get a new amp.

11. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Maybe you can ask the guitarists to turn down a bit and try to include the bass into the mix more, you shouldnt have to crank the mids all the way on your amps EQ.

Sometimes a band can get a good overall sound if everybody turns down a bit and stops trying to be the only one being heard.

Then maybe get some sort of bass driver to bring out the frequencies if u still need a bit of punch:D

12. i mean i can be heard...id just like to be heard more(wouldnt we all)...and im kinda looking for a differnt sound other then just clean...

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1,000,000

Seriously! A 65W combo is a kiddie toy and a joke in terms of competing with loud guitarists, and no pedal on earth will help. I'm kind of embarrassed by the recommendations people made for preamp pedals and such, as they will not help you at all until you get a bigger amp.

15. ok this thread is now useless lol my gig amp is bigger then all theres just in practice i tend to get a little drowned out...cause my practice amp is about the same wattage as both of theirs

and i think w/ my money ill just buy the ElectroniX MessDrive Hybrid+..that thing seems like a kick ass pedal

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We just told you that was the problem. Good luck with that.

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    You do know that's a fuzz and going to do far more than beef up your sound?

18. im not really worried about the beefing up my sound anymore...i figured that really I'm just looking for a differnet sound then just the normal clean sound so im gonna get that peddle

19. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Wait...you're playing with a 65w!!?

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    All I see in your profile is a 65 watt and a 15 watt.