1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PedalBoard Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basslice, Nov 24, 2020.

Tags:

PedalBoard Power Supply

Poll closed Dec 1, 2020.
  1. Voodoo Labs

12.5%
  2. CIOKS

46.4%
  3. Other

41.1%
  1. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I am building my first pedalboard. I will want to power six (6) 9v devices.
    Looper
    Overdrive
    Compressor
    Chorus
    Octaver
    Tuner
    I have been looking into a power supply. I see that Voodoo Labs and CIOKS both sell units that meet my demands. There are a lot more user ratings on Voodoo than CIOKS. Voodoo units seem a little more pricey than CIOKS and the fact that anyone is charging >$100 for a 9-12V power supply seems ridiculous. These things are anywhere from $120 - $240!

2. You get what you pay for. Seriously, you don't want to cheap out on power supplies. I'll recommend the VoodooLabs PP2+ and the Cioks DC7

Basslice likes this.
  3. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I've used the Cioks DC7 and Truetone CS7 & CS6. There was absolutely no difference between them in terms of noise or any other perceivable quality matter. Cioks DC7 is objectively the more flexible one with plenty of mA on tap and 9-18V options.

Also the flat size & power outlets being on the sides (rather than front/back) of the box is crucial if you want to fit it under most board without added brackets and such. Compare CS7 vs CS6; the CS7 is a non-starter for many boards.

And yes, the prices are ridiculous.

Basslice likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I use the Walrus supply. Super quiet. Doesn't get hot. And the coolest feature is the 120V 3-prong outlet on one end. So if you have a very high power device like a preamp or micro amp or an old pedal with a connected plug now you have a place to shove it.

DrColossus68 likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Strymon Ojai due to it's size. It's also scalable with a similar sized expander.
    IMG_2851.jpg

6. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    Ihave the Cioks dc7 after i sold off my VL mondo. The flexibility of the Cioks is amazing

Plectrum72 likes this.
  7. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    +1 on Strymon. I’ve use Cioks, Voodoo and Others. Strymon are light, small, ultra quiet and the have the best draw per port.

Jon Lars and 2saddleslab like this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My Voodoo PP2 served me very well.

Sold it after I got a good deal on a Strymon Zuma, which offers a lot more mA capacity per port, and 2 of them are switchable from 9v to 12v or 18v!

I believe the Strymon was the Cadillac of power supplies until the CIOKS DC-7 came on the scene. I haven't owned one, and I forget the specs right now, but everybody raves about it.

The Voodoo PP2 should suit your needs just fine.

jebmd likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have a CIOKS AC10. That sucker is rugged, dead quiet, and versatile. I used to run the EHX Black Finger on the AC socket. Now I run a JoeMeek Floor Q compressor in that spot. Love it.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What's the tube pedal in the middle? (Brief derail)

2saddleslab likes this.
  11. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Love the DC5 but if I had it to do over again I’d get the DC7.

8528A2E5-AE21-42FB-BC3F-13A3C2F176A3.jpeg

12. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
  13. The key is not to look at what power supply you should get, but more of what power and current your pedals need or will need.... futur use is key.

Make a spreadsheet and put all the pedals you wish or planning to buy.
    Then look at the specs for each pedal, if they can operate on higher voltage to get more headroom, it does sound better for some.

Once done, put columns with different voltage that your planning for and then summerise.

At that point you will know how much outputs and curent draw for each you will need.

Now start shopping,
    -Make sure you get separate isolated output
    -Avoid power supply that gets power from a DC wall wart (potato adapter) get a IEC AC cable instead
    -Plan for expansion

Have fun

14. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    I don't think you can go wrong with a nice isolated power supply from either Voodoo, Cioks or Truetone. I'd just get the cheapest from either that fits my requirements.

Personally I ended up with a Voodoo Lab 4X4 because I got it dirt cheap barely used with receipt and warranty.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As @Mr. Business stated above, it's a Nightowl Industries Edison. An amazingly simple yet affective pedal. It's got the overdrive I've always been seeking.
    IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg

Per the suggestion from Seth [the bulider], I added an NOS Tesla tube and well worth it.
    IMG_2854.jpg

jebmd, BOOG, richwag and 1 other person like this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    2saddleslab likes this.
  17. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    If you want something reasonably priced, small, and solid, try the MXR mini iso brick. 5 isolated outputs and comes with a splitter so it could power your 6 pedals. I used one without incident for years until I had > 6 pedals and then switched to the DC7.

line6bassist likes this.
  18. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    MXR Iso-brick user here. No issues with it as long as I've owned it. I'm sure lots of others are equally good.

line6bassist likes this.
  19. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    jkazam and Mr. Business like this.
  20. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The Edison is so cool! I actually have 2 of them. The Iron Horse caught my eye when I was looking for a power supply. It’s very convenient and just as quiet as the mxr mini iso I was using. I dig how both our boards are minimalist and simply going for killer tone!

2saddleslab likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021