Pedalboards: flat or angled?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krfoss, Jul 21, 2021 at 1:49 AM.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'm debating moving up in pedalboard size from a mini (24x7, flat) to either a classic Jr or metro 24. The metro is only slightly larger than my current board, which I like and may be enough. But it got me wondering:

Is there an advantage of a flat board over the larger angled board, or visa versa?

Im open to either, especially if I can find a deal on one, but what aspects would you all consider between these two types of boards? Help me spend my money!

2. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    I guess one of the advantages of an angled board is that it's more likely to fit thicker power supplies attached to the bottom of the board. Also more room for cable management (possibly - depending on the layout).

3. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Exactly. I'd like to add that with an angled board you get a better view and access to pedals in the back row.

Goatrope and Bassinga like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I make my own. But angled. Seems more natural for my stompin' foot. And I suppose I'd +1 regarding power supply space. I have a board with a Walrus because it has a 120V outlet built in and it needs almost twice the clearance of a CIOKS I use on my other boards.

the baint likes this.
  5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I always like angled these days, and if it's long, then I like curved ones like the older holeyboards.

6. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    Flat.

7. Doctor Roberts

Doctor Roberts

Oct 22, 2007
    Angled for me. It makes it easier to stomp on the right pedal, which is ideal for me given that I'm a bit clumsy.

Nice, could we see one that you've made?

krfoss likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    First, catch me in a fib, this one is flat! But I found this post and I’m not close to another to take a pic. But angled is positioning the back runner lower.
    Anyway, here is a single row of pedals. Add another board on the top deck and you can accommodate 2 rows. It’s super easy. Here’s a step by step. I promise this took about half hour plus paint dry time. And costs very little.
    Enjoy:
    Simple Pedalboard Build Play by Play

Doctor Roberts and krfoss like this.
  9. This and it's easier to step on the back row pedals on an angled board.

10. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I learned the hard way that after buying a flat I needed it angled and strong with a good power supply. Sold my flat one for 10 bux and got a pedaltrain solid metal, angled, with a nice case and power supply. I wish I had spent the money on a good the first time. I should have thought about the fact they go on the ground and I stomp on it :).

11. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The more depth to it, the more I like it angled.

So a really deep board I'd like done in almost stadium seating, though I don't have any such thing currently. ... .. yet.

My Pedaltrain Nano+ is fine flat, though were it angled, I could use that to my advantage on something like an EHX Pitch Fork in non-latching mode. I have a Classic 2, I think it is, for my bigger board, and have all the quick-access pedals on the front row. The angle definitely helps me reach rows 2 and 3 without pulling a tibialis anterior. Or, occasionally, while wearing boots etc whilst onstage.

Bryan R. Tyler likes this.
  12. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

1 row: flat or angled.
    2 or more rows: angled or tiered.

Also, I generally prefer a longer board with 2 rows over a deeper board with 3 rows or more.

Grahams Groove likes this.
  13. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Flat for a small board that I can power with a OneSpot. Angled for larger and/or something that needs space underneath for a power supply

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Angled, or at least the back tier raised.

15. Bassinga

Bassinga

Apr 12, 2021
    That looks awesome man! Love the colour

Killing Floor likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Here’s an earlier angled one. Same basic build, 2 rows, narrow and angled. This has a Walrus Aetos supply underneath so it is deeper under the boards.
    upload_2021-7-22_6-19-12.jpeg

Doctor Roberts likes this.
  17. I make my own and tend to do them angled or stepped. Mainly so that I have less chance of accidentally pressing a pedal on the lower tier when I'm selecting one from the top.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Generally angled but flat can be fine if you have some pedals that are taller to be placed in the back row. I’ve had a few tiered but they usually require a noticeably heavier case due to the extra height and the padding/weight isn’t as evenly distributed.

19. Doctor Roberts

Doctor Roberts

Oct 22, 2007
    I loved them both! The project looks super interesting.
    Thank you very much for sharing!

20. Flat on the bottom with an angled shelf.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021