1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals you wanted ...until you tried them.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Sep 6, 2019.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Title says it , really.
    I'm interested to hear about those situations when you felt that you wanted a certain pedal, until you tried it. After trying it you no longer wanted the pedal.

I'll start;
    Dwarfcraft: 'The great destroyer' - I just lacked the patience and time to find settings and sounds that would have been useful or interesting to me.

Before trying it, I nearly bought it.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Blower Box. I plugged it in, fiddled with it, determined that it made my bass sound distorted (duh), which I ultimately discovered is not “my” sound. That’s the only pedal I’ve ever messed around with.

MordBass, GreyMark and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Somnambulance

Somnambulance Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Almost every pedal I’ve flipped.

bozric, agent19, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  4. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Wooly Mammoth and EHX BassMicroSynth and QTron stand out as disappointing for me. Some old Devi Ever FX boxes too.

5. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Broughton SV-Pre: Had it for about a week then sold it. Great pedal, very Ampeg-y, but I found I liked the tone of my SCR-DI just as much and it has more features (DI, aux in, headphone out). I thought I’d really prefer the Broughton because of the ability to adjust the mids (I’ve always wished the SCR-DI had a mid frequency adjustment similar to my SVT 7 Pro and a lot of other Ampeg amps). It was a nice feature to have, but it didn’t make the difference I thought it might vs. the SCR-DI. Last, I found I really liked the Scrambler overdrive and the blend knob over the overdriven tone of the SV-Pre.

Ampeg Opto Comp: I like the compressor in my SVT 7 Pro so I figured the Ampeg compressor would be fitting for my small pedalboard used for ampless situations. Plus I had read that while it did alter the tone slightly, it was in a very musical, almost tube-like way. I found myself always preferring my tone with the Opto Comp off, so I returned it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Wissen and design like this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Can you be any less specific? ;)

7. Specific Ocean

Specific Ocean

Jul 26, 2019
    Panda Audio Future Impact. I went through this phase of synth bass music and played it once and sold it on reverb.

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    You're just plug and play? That's cool and all, though I'm a bit surprised to read this ^

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. Pretty much all of them on the market.

Hahaha

Correction, any pedal I've ever owned. At least.

BassChuck, eJake and pellomoco14 like this.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Is ther eone 'winner' you could name? :)

11. J-Dub

J-Dub Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Most recently, the EQD Palisades.

Saw a really good and thorough youtube demo of it on bass and knew I would be in love.

Well, I couldn't turn the treble down enough on any setting, or retain enough low end. It was the opposite of "touch sensitive" with an annoyingly shrill distorted top end even on low settings. Needless to say, it was packed up and returned less than 24 hours later.

Disclaimer, I love EQD and am sure that pedal sounds great on g**tar, but I would not recommend for bass.

12. I liked the BDDI. Until I played it out a few times. I liked the Alpha/Omega, till I found myself always messing with it. I like the scr DI, til I bought my ampeg amp. I had a boss chorus, that I immediately got rid of. I had a synth pedal, that I immediately got rid of. So, no. Not really. Only pedal I run is a boss tuner.

mikewalker and cnltb like this.
  13. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Pigtronix Mothership 2. A lot of random cool sounds but just to hard to shape the sound I have in my head.
    I sticked with the Digitech dirty robot.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    This is getting interesting!

Thanks for all the contributions thus far!
    :thumbsup::hyper:

15. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    The Wooly Mammoth sounded awesome at home.
    In a band setting my bass just vanished with it.

16. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    The biggest thing for me was that I wasn't aware of how sensitive it was at the input. Plugged in to it and was like yikes this doesn't sound right.

17. A few years back I was (and still am) looking for a good synth sound. I purchased and returned EHX Bass MicroSynth and a Behringer BSY-600. A few years later I decided to get the BSY-600 again and now use it but - just ordered the Boss SY-1 so I'm not sure what's gonna leave - Digitech Dirty Robot or the BSY-600. Whichever pedal is booted off my board, I'll probably keep it around.

Grapevine921 and mikewalker like this.
  18. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    MXR bass fuzz deluxe. Very noisy

neuman and Ethereal Thorn like this.
  19. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Bass Big Muff Pi Deluxe. I wanted a good distortion pedal but it was just real muddy sounding in the lower register.

Recently I spent the extra money and go a Darkglass Microtubes X7 and haven’t looked back. Great pedal.

fourstr00 likes this.
  20. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    EHX BassBalls and many bass distortion dirt type pedals.

badsister, Nev375 and chandman1004 like this.