1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedulla R ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Hi folks,
    I have found a Pedulla R, used for sale locally and have determined based on the serial number that it was born in 1995, It is a metallic blue, has some pretty nasty rash on it's back side, however, the front is clean, it plays and sounds great given the old strings on it.
    Has anyone owned one? (I'm assuming yes!) The current owner has asked $950.00 for it. Considering it's condition, is this a good price?
    Thanks,
    fishheadjoe

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you mean a Pedulla Rapture? Depends on how many strings it has. If it's a six-string with a lot of rash, $950 is an okay price. If it's a four or five-string, it's overpriced.

3. Thanks for the quick response Brian... yes it is a 4 string. I compared it side by side with a Jazz they had and the neck at the nut looked even smaller on the Pedulla. I really liked that!
    Any suggestions on it's proper value? I'm heading to the pharmacy to get some "Beano" to deal with my GAS problem! LOL
    Thanks again for the insight!
    fishheadjoe

4. Well, I've never played a Pedulla Rapture, but I do know that brand new, any Pedulla is gonna be at least 3-4 grand. To me, 950 doesn't sound bad, even for a 4 banger.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Umm, a brand new Pedulla 1-pickup 4-string Rapture will only cost you about $2k, so your info is quite a bit off. Pedullas also don't hold a lot of resale value, which is a shame because they're very nice basses, and with a lot of wear on the back, it'll drop the price even further. The market has also been terrible for sellers for a while now. Search the eBay history and the last couple of Rapture 4-strings that sold sold for under $800. Heck, Guitar Center is selling one in their Used resource for $850, which I'm sure can be knocked down.

6. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I bought a used 96 model back in January in mint condition for $750. Fretless, 5 string with two jazz pups. I think you can probably talk them down another $100 or $200, especially if it needs new strings and a set up/neck adjustment.

7. I just connected with the seller, he's holding fast at $950.00! I just can't seem to get my head around paying essentially a grand for a bass as beaten up (finish wise) as this.
    Thanks all for your info, I think I'm gonna let it sit for a day or two and find out then, what they are willing to do.
    I've been back and forth to the Pedulla site as well as checking the on-line used market. My biggest challenge is that here in Canada, there is only one Pedulla retailer, and they are located in British Columbia, about 2000 miles away!
    This is the first Pedulla I have had an opportunity to actually hold and yah, I really liked it.
    Currently wrestling with what to do about this one and or simply buying a new one out right.
    Again, thanks for reading and helpin!
    fishheadjoe

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's another angle: If you buy a bass online, off Ebay or whatever, you have no idea what it will really feel or sound like until you get it and the deal is already done. If you go to the retailer in BC, you'll have spent how many dollars in time and fuel? Plus maybe they only have new Pedullas, at the $2K plus mark.

So if you've actually held and played this Pedulla, and you really like it, then that is actually worth a fair amount of real money- especially since you say they don't show up very often used in your area.

9. Thanks Bongomania! You have essentially hit the nail on the head as far as my thinking at this point...
    I know I taking a chance in waiting, but I can feel buyer regret brewing in my gut, at this price point. I think another sleep might help to clear my mind.
    I'm still considering a new one as well... darn indecision!
    Fishheadjoe

10. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia

One thing to consider....ask the guy if he has the truss rod wrench supplied by Pedulla! Their truss rods are designed to only be adjusted with Pedulla's wrench! If the guy has been using a different type of wrench, beware! Odds are the truss rod was forced and is now stripped and will cost you a few hundred to replace the neck! Find out when the last set up was and if it's due, make it part of the negotiation that you will only buy it after he fully services the bass. A set up and new strings will add on another $75-$100 to your price tag. If he's not willing to budge on that, then you're getting a bad deal IMO.

11. Just got back from the vendor and I have decided to take a pass on this bass. There is no willingness to negotiate the price, actually, he has decided to stay put at his original price of $995.00! I had him down to $950 yesterday, but he has decided that his is going to hold firm on that price.
    ALso, the bass does not come with a truss rod wrench, so I have decided with my appreciated input from the folks here, to take a pass at this time.
    I may revisit it down the road, if it is still available, but for now, I have relieved myself of this gas... but I am gonna give Pedulla a call today to discuss ordering one, as I really felll in love with the feel of the neck and the way the body seems to fit like a glove.
    Oh, and it sounded pretty good too!:bassist:
    fishheadjoe

12. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    just keep an eye our on ebay...they pop up often. i say buy used unless you are SURE you are going to keep it forever. i have no idea why but the used value is far lower than it should be (which is good for us!)