1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perfecting Slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xEriatarka, Aug 2, 2007.

1. I had been slapping for a little bit, but have just started getting back into it after a year and a half and I feel as if I should start all over from the basics. Any good drills and songs that any of you would recommend? And please...no Red Hot Chili Peppers. haha

2. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    Les Claypool? Larry Graham? I have some slap bass instructional stuff on my computer at home, but I'm at work atm so I'll have to get back to you on that stuff.

3. Les is definitely one of my biggest influences. I used to be able to play stuff like Tommy the Cat and One Better fairly well. Now I'm pretty sloppy at Tommy the Cat and absolutely suck at One Better. And the only stuff I've ever played from Larry Graham have all been from stuff that Les has done live.

Thanks a bunch.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  5. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I have the pdf for "Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass" by Tony Oppenheim that I can email to you if you want. It looks like its about 14 pages of instruction with practices and then about 16 pages of sheet music. About 1.4 MB. Lemme know.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Slap It" is a great book, and cheap enough that you should actually buy it from Tony at www.slapitonline.com.

7. That's not so cheap for a college student. Believe me. I had a hard time deciding whether or not just to get the supporting membership here. The only reason why I decided to get it was because I thought it would help sell my bass faster. Definitely has not been the case so far. Hopefully that promotion at the Sbux will go through though!

And thank you so much for being so helpful Chips. I might just wait until I have the money...even though I don't quite do that with my music. Either way, I hope to buy an instruction booklet or maybe even afford a couple lessons to help my groove.

8. Until you have the bread, Tony has some example slap lines on his website that you can check out for free

9. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    there's a guy on youtube that posts videos of himself doing the slap it exercises.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ed Friedlands slap dvd is great. I mean GREAT.

make sure you get the form of you right hand down, if you don't it will bite you in the end. Namely, thumb parallel to the strings and other finger knuckles should be perpindicular to facilitate pops. Reason being, what if you had to pop twice immediately on the same string? Your other fingers need to be aligned in order to do such a thing, and its not n easy thing to correct.

People will tell you all the time form is just a personal prefernce, I used to beleive that. My form sucks, and although I have some decent flow going on, that last thing I mentioned in the previous paragrahp is so difficult for me to hit cause my form sucks. Look at Marcus's right hand.

11. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    there are different approaches to slap. what are you looking for? graham? flea? wooten?
    i suggest learning as many as you can. im a strong believer in techniques as tools.

12. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    Try this one...

http://www.basslinepublishing.com/ultimateslapbass.htm

One of the best i've seen, My friend got this one and i'm about to order myself a copy.

Here is what is written there....

Ultimate Slap Bass is a complete tutorial book, covering every aspect of the slap technique from the absolute basics through to advanced techniques such as double thumbing and popping, strumming, open string hammer-ons and how to combine slapping with other techniques in a musical way. There are over 200 exercises in the book, which are also featured on two audio CD’s. The book also includes a detailed history of the slap technique, as well as biographies of all of the major contributors to the technique. Additionally, there are interviews with Marcus Miller, Stuart Hamm, Mark King, Ray Riendeau and Vail Johnson.

13. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Chips,

I guess I should be flattered that people like Slap It! enough to steal it.

However, on behalf of my three, soon-to-be-college-age children, I would really appreciate it if you would stop distributing that PDF.

Thanks!

Tony

14. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Jimmy,

Thanks for the kind words, and the very intelligent suggestion!

Cheers!

Tony

15. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  16. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    +1 Graham, Wooten, Miller even Flea have a different approach to slap. So there isn't just one way to do it. I would start with Graham or Louis Johnson to learn the basics. Not that their styles are basic but their styles will serve as a bridge to other styles like Miller and Wooten.

By the way I have Slap it and it is a very good source to have.