1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peterson Strobostomp 2 :/

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hello all,

After reading the reviews and the praises that the members on TB had about this pedal, I purchased it from Musiciansfriend for $199. Received the pedal couple of days later. Plugged my 9DC plug in to the pedal and turned it on. Wow! what an amazing tuner! I never used a pedal that was so accurate when it came down to the tuning. The Strobe took a bit to get used to, but after that, wow!

Only problem is that the input jack was broken. If I move the cable even just a little bit from the tuner, it turns on and off. I thoguht it would be my cable on either the in or the out from the pedal, after trying 3-4 different cables, I concluded that it was the pedal.

I've been hearing people not liking the Peterson because it seems to break easily or came in defective. I didn't pay $199 for a stomp box that doesn't work correctly on the first plug in! Should I just go back to the BOSS TU-2 tuner? I know that one works! Are there any others I should check out to replace the Peterson or should I wait for a replacement? It's a shame that I was one of the people that get the lemon ones that couple of ppl mentioned through out the internet.:mad:

I also have a gig this tuesday and need a tuner:bawl:

Does anyone know if Guitar Center takes returns from Musicians Friend? Would be awesome if they did.

D

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    GC doesn't take MF returns, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, there's no stomp tuner pedal as good as the Peterson at tuning, but it isn't as durable as some of the cheaper ones. Lots of people recommend the Korg as the more durable and high-quality option; the Korg doesn't tune a low B as well and as quickly as the Peterson IME, but it's great in every other way.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Isn't that just the oddest thing Bongo? With someone paying $199 for a stomp box, you would expect some thing with higher durability. When I held the tuner, it felt cheap! Even the BOSS TU2 felt more of a tank (Which it probably is). I will look in to the Korg Tuner. I hope the GC near me has it since I need it ASAP. Was it the DT10 was it?

Just want to let fellow TB'ers know about the pedal. I hear that the first version of the Storobostomp is much more durable than the 2nd one. I never had a chance to try the 1st one, but I guess it was my hit :( It doesn't seem to be a "gigging" tuner as more of a "checking intonation and tuning at home" kind of a tuner.

Thanks for the help Bongo!

D

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Although i feel your pain, sometimes the price goes towards other things first before durability. As i heard, nothing tunes like a strobostomp. however, youre not the first one i've heard of problems from (harmony central is full of bad reviews for this one)

Actually, i heard both are pretty bad durability wise, you know.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    :crying: it's a shame that a tuner pedal as great as the Strobostomp is, they couldn't put a little more effort for the durability. I would pay another $50 for it to have a better durability. Especially in this case, it's the problem with the jack. I will looking in to purchasing a Korg DT10 as Bongo has recommended me to. Now with in DT10, there's several versions of them floating around so I'll look in to that too

thanks for the reply ehque

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    The face of my strobostomp is peeling. This is number 2 that I have had... looks like 3rd time might be a charm.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I hope so too man! have you been replacing them by buying a brand new one? how often have you had to do that? you're a trooper! :D

8. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, they show up defective, and I use them once or twice out of neccesity.. then I return them to GC.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you must have a strobe, check out the Planet Waves.

10. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Sorry, even if the durability issues are there, nothing touches Petersons accuracy. Nothing. Accurate down to 1 cent.... Nothing touches it. It is the choice of all pro musicians for perfect tuning.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I would be disappointed if it is only 1 cent.

12. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Sorry, .01 cents... My band

13. One word about MF....

Ever wonder what happens to all the stuff that gets returned under their 30 day return policy?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, we already know it gets sent to Spankypants.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :D

16. Is he still alive?

I heard he died.

17. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

Dude, he just posted some Boss MT-2 and BF-2 clips the other day in this forum. There are two threads dedicated to them.

Undeath still counts as "life" in my book. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here either. :D

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    well let me tell ya, the accuracy I get on the Strobostomp is INSANE. I never heard octaves so perfectly matched, harmonics all so perfect. I don't think anything beats the Strobostomp hands down! Durability is definitely the biggest issues in these parts and it's a shame! :(

19. If you're saying that you are "undead"...I'll buy that.

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :ninja: