Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peterson Strobostomp DI option

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KJung, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Does anybody have experience using the Strobostomp DI into a PA? Is it a reasonably good quality DI?

Here's some detail for context, if interested.

I have a Peterson Strobostomp tuner that is just amazing... relatively small, but accurate enough to set intonation with, and the display is bright enough to use on stage. It also has a 'true bypass' switch... it's the first tuner that I feel I can run 'in-line' between my bass and amp that doesn't affect the sound at all.

On rare ocassions, I get PA support and usually use the sound company supplied DI. However, the Peterson has a built in DI with a very cool option. You can set the internal DIP switches so that the foot pedal turns on and off the tuner and at the same time mutes both the line to the amp and the DI to the mains.... very nice. I'd like to use this option, but don't really have a way of testing the quality of the DI.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi
    I use my StroboStomp DI live, and here is what it is: Better than a standard DI box the PA guys have, and waaay better than the DI on my Peavey MAX preamp.
    I tried using it in the studio, but the sound tech listened for a second or two and then broke out a Demeter 201 and made me use that. And yes, that probably sounded better.

When used as a DI, the tuner is ON at all times. The foot switch just mutes the signal to both amp and board.
    The ground lift switch is located next to the DI-switch inside the battery compartment (2 over-size dip switches), which is a bit of a hassle if you have the pedals on a board.

Oh, about the true bypass: In DI mode the StroboStomp is not true bypass. I have read some people claiming the tone suffers when the DI is used, but my band mates all failed to hear the differences in a blind test.

3. Thanks for the info... that's what I figured... a basic 'mid level' DI. Interesting on the 'true bypass'..... I know there's lot's of ways to define that. I'll take a really close listen... I dont' notice any difference, but have not used it this way on a gig yet... I usually have the DIP switches set so that the tuner comes on when I check my tuning by plugging in on breaks. Thanks again.