PF 115LF cab speaker swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I am receiving a 4 ohm Celestion Neo 15 orange label tomorrow. I want to pop it in this cab for a try.
    How the hell do I get the front grill frame off? It has 2 little pull tabs (?) at the bottom. This has no flip top. It should pull right off, correct? I can't budge this thing, what am I missing? I am a doofus sometimes when faced with the obvious.o_O Please help before I get out the crowbar.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Get a thick screwdriver or similar and a towel. Stick it in one of the loops, then lever the screwdriver against the bottom of the cab to pop it out, using the towel to protect the tolex. Try to lever the screwdriver on an amp corner if you can. They're a really strong hook and loop thing, but they will pop off with a little extra torque.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL

4. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Thanks for the tip and the vid. I pulled both those little suckers out by the roots in no time.:D I'm thinking someone got overzealous with the glue there at the factory. I'm getting a bigger hammer.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Buy a tool that fits in the space between the cabinet and the grille frame, like the one below from a car parts place.

Align along the edge, insert, turn 90 degrees so that the crook part is behind the grille frame, and gently pull. The ampeg video shows you where the fasteners typically are, use the tool close to each one to pop it.

D1F8B3B3-C411-4948-A54D-12C6D3C7F406.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    JimmyM likes this.
  6. Comes off real easy as it's only held in place by a few pieces of hook and loop (velcro).
    Slip a single rod through both of those little loop/tabs at the bottom and pull straight out. Not one at a time as you'll probably break them off.

I use a brass rod that's normally used to push cleaning patches through my rifle bores.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You are really going to be surprised by how little those things are when you see them.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Just for interest what are you hoping to achieve by changing out the driver?

9. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I have 2 possible uses for this Celestion. I primarily want to see what a 4 ohm load does for a sweet but kinda under powered old AMP (Amplified Musical Products) head I have. This combo is my spare rig. And the cab can stand to loose some flab - weight and tone wise.:) If it doesn't work out I am going to try it in my TV Bassman 15. It's already a 4 ohm driver but I'm all about losing weight! This speaker is new and was a good price so what the heck I say. I had Schroeder cabs with these in them, and eventually moved on for warmer woofers. It will be interesting to revisit them.

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    UPDATE

This morning I spilled the weeks long saga to my beautiful and talented other, Mimi. Then I took a shower. I'm back in the mancave and the grille is off. All I can say is it sure is handy to have someone with a degree in Industrial Design living with you.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022