1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pfretzschner?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by FeS2, Jan 2, 2012.

1. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    I acquired a French bow branded H. R. Pfretzschner along with an estate sale bass. My luthier believes it to be a Pfretzschner though I have my doubts as there is no mark on the frog.

In any case, it is a good bow. c. 139 g with the remaining hair. Straight stick, no nicks cracks, cuts. Silver mount. Silver wrap. 72 cm end to end. Tip needs repair. Seems to play well and I love the sound and feel though I'm no judge as I play german. I will ultimately be selling this to someone who will use it.

I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on it. ( I realize the Pfretzschner/not a Pfretzschner issue is well covered in previous posts) ...but never the less some one may have some thoughts on this bow.

(more pics in additional posts)

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
  2. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    more pics

Attached Files:

3.jpg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  3. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    a few more

Attached Files:

5.jpg
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
  4. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    ein mal

Attached Files:

7.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
  5. benharrisfan

benharrisfan Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    The stick is the typical color of a Pfretzschner and the stamp is correct. Possibly the frog is not original? On many old Pfretzshner German bows the stamp has worn away almost entirely.

6. I rather doubt from the photos that it is a silver mounted bow. The discoloration indicates nickel-silver. The stick looks quite nice but the frog doesn't quite match those of typical Pfretzschners that I have seen. Either way, I would get it rehaired and see how it plays.

7. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    I brought the bow to a couple Chicago experts.

The consensus is that it is a Pfretzschner factory bow, probably late 1950's early 1960's. The stick is good dense Pernambuco. The weight is actually 140g (not the 139 I mentioned). It is nickel-silver mount with silver tinsel wind.

I'm getting it cleaned up and re-haired and eventually will offer it up. (as I play German)

Thank you everyone for your comments!

8. jrupe

jrupe

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm wondering what this bow sold for, as my son is looking to buy a bow that looks almost exactly like this one. Does anyone know? And was the consensus that it was real? Thanks.

9. jrupe

jrupe

Oct 25, 2012
  10. FeS2

FeS2

Jun 8, 2010
    Chicago
    Hi

The bow is real and is sitting unused due to my laziness more than anything. It should be used by someone and I just need to get it posted for sale. When I get it posted the asking price based on the luthier's recommendation would be about 2K. I'll get it posted!

Matt

11. jrupe

jrupe

Oct 25, 2012
    that is interesting. The bow my son is looking at which looks just like your bow was also estimated by a local luthier to be real, about the same level as you describe yours to be, and he said about 2K for value.