Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phantom power? no one ever told me about it.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 25, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    hmmm.
    maybe i'm stupid. i've never come across this term until i was reading some reviews on condensor mics just now.
    how is this power generated?
    would you need a supply of some type? should my mixer handle this for me? what if i plug directly into recording sound card (like a delta or something similar)? then am i without phantom power?
    what would be the result of that?

2. Your mixer most likely has a phantom power switch on it. Some mics will occasionally need an outside power source, but for most the mixer can handle it.

If I remember correctly, it's basically a polarizing voltage across the two plates that make up the diaphragm on a condensor.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It depends on the microphone. Most mixers put out 48 volts down the mic cord which the microphone uses to polarize a couple of diaphragms. one doesn't move, and one is very very thin and it does move. This makes it move closer and father away from the non-moveable one. This change in distance changes the charge, and makes the signal. It's very very small, so it goes through boosting electronics powered by the mixer. That is why they are so sensitive.