phaser pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by azeng808, Dec 19, 2005.

1. azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    Can anyone recommned a good phaser pedal around 80-100$ range
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    MXR Phase 90, it's just the best.
  3. Im pretty happy with my Ibanez Tonelok PH7.
  4. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    ...the Stone, my friend, the Stone, & while we're at it, buy it from the Analogman with his volume drop & anti-feedback mods, $116 shipped to your door. Can't go wrong. Just can't.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't get it, you're recommending a pedal that needs a mod out of the box?
  6. Analogman is a very cool thing. "needs a mod out of the box" is a HUGE topic. Some pedals, particularly modulations, have a volume level problem when they are activated. Imagine, you are rocking out & want to get phased out (or tremolo with guitar, tremolos are notorious for this) and you step on your pedal & your volume drops so bad, you have to turn the pedal off & go back to the boring, non-phased tone you tried to escape from just seconds ago! Bad, Bad, Bad.

They get these pedals to act more transparent, so you can 'color' your sound, not lose it.

My phase of choice is the MXR EVH Phase 90. Quite a bit more than the standard Phase 90, I could hear the difference enough that I purchased this one.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    +1 on the MXR Phase 90. It's pretty much the standard in phasing and it's inexpensive.
  8. + 1 MXR Phase 90, go with the EVH if you can.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    EHX Small Stone is my phase shifter of choice. Compared it to the Phase 90 A/B, and just like the EHX so much better. Sounds great for chording, I wish I could provide a sound clip.

10. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yes, you got it. Because it's the most lush phaser for the price & after the mods it's still very reasonable for what you get. I might like another phaser to compliment the Stone, & in fact I do, but I'd never want to be without the EHX.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    For what it's worth, I've never modified mine and it still sounds incredible. I say there's no need for a mod, it's great as is. Cheaper than the MXR too.

12. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    to me the small stone was warmer than the phase 90 w/ r28 (or something) chip mod.
  13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If you know how to solder you can get a phase 90 clone with a Depth Knob and true bypass for the same $$ at

Check them out!
  14. I like Akai`s Intelliphase a lot. It`s big and ugly but it has great analog 4-stage phasing sound without volume drop. It`s discontinued so you have to check it out from ebay. It shouldn`t be overpriced - I paid 40 euros from mine.
  15. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Personally i havn't tried this but behringer has a new pedal lineup including bass specific pedals and a phaser. heres a link to the phaser there entire line ranges in price from 30 to 20. considering most effects are usually about 4 or more times as much makes me wonder if its garbage.... but then again think how much mark up pedals have, i mean come on 100 dollars for a box that distorts the single... cheap computers are like 300! im about to check harmony central for some revies on these.
  16. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Boss PH-2 (Japanese model)
    Very nice tone, as goes for most japanese-made Boss pedals...
  17. glassjaw_jc

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm using a Guyatone PS-2. Only downside is that it doesn't seem to like dirt pedals.