1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Suitcase Compact and C4 cab first gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassplayer315, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Bassplayer315

Bassplayer315 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    New Jersey
    What started as a headphone purchase ended with being the owner of this PJB compact rig. I picked up the H850 headphones from the PJB website as I needed a new set and these where made for bass. When the headphones arrived I reviewed the enclosed full product brochure and the Suitcase compact jumped out at me. I was in the market for a gig worthy small combo and extension cab and really liked the review on PJB rig. I was willing to try the concept of lots of little speakers vs traditional set ups. I have to say that my quest for MY perfect tone has been found. I was running my little rig with eq flat, input at 2 o'clock and master at about 1 o'clock. My Adam Clayton jazz cut through the mix and sounded fantastic. I have to say what really stood out was the clean sharp bass tone without the boom and vibration. I was up against 2 guitars and a hard hitting drummer but never lost myself in the mix. I have to give this rig 2 thumbs up. I have gone through many amps this past year searching for that special sound, Markbass, Aguilar, Hartke, Fender to name a few. I play classic rock with a bunch of guys my age 50+, and really glad I picked this rig up. Yes they are expensive but worth it to me. Just my 2 cents. I don't see many posts on PJB but was so impressed I had to post it. image. image.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I just have the briefcase, and while that alone isn't really gig-worthy, as a practice a small portable jam amp (w/ acoustics, say), it's amazing. Deep, deep tone out of those tiny shiny metal cone things. :woot::thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    chupacerveza likes this.
  3. I have a C8. I love it. I'm powering it with a Warwick LWA 1000. I'm probably going to get a C4 too. Looking forward to AB-ing the D1000 amp too! 2015-04-02 18.57.58. 0825141440.

chupacerveza and kaba7a like this.
  4. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I've had a few PJb amps: started with a Briefcase; stepped up to a Suitcase with 4B extension cab; then downsized to a Bass Cub. They all sound phenomenal. Love how the EQ section is voiced. Just perfect.

chupacerveza likes this.
  5. bassstation

bassstation terms of enRAMPAGEment Supporting Member

awesome, congrats on the rig. let me ask an ignorant PJB question, has any talkbass members A/B'd the original suitcase and the new suitcase compact? I owned the original suitcase and liked it but did not love it, I also own a genz benz shuttle 6.2 1x12 combo and I felt that it dominated the pjb in volume and tone and weight when I would A/B them. I liked the PJB but eventually sold, the reason I bring this up is that I too became intrigued by the new suitcase compact, especially with the 8x5 extension cabinet.

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I have the combo & extension & love them for what they are. Probably going to be moving them along though for some 1212/6 firepower.

7. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Anyone coupled one of these c4 cabs with a 15? Looking to add a second cab to my Markbass set up for use at midsize venues and use as a stand alone for small gigs. Want to keep it light weight and think that multiple small drivers would really add clarity and punch to the low end attack of the 15 as opposed to adding a single driver 10' or 12' cab.

chupacerveza likes this.
  8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Many, many guys think along these lines. Erroneously, I'm afraid. Witness the most glaring example ... 410/115 rigs.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    chupacerveza and uwrossl like this.
  9. sirpas

sirpas Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    uwrossi, I did a louder than normal jazz gig, and had my PJB C4 on top of a Bag End 1x15. It was alright... kind of wished I had had another PJB C4. The 15 just muddied it up, but this is all in hindsight now.

One their own, those little cabs can move a lot of air, and while not as full sounding as a bigger speaker cab, the clarity and punch was enough for me not to miss a 2x10 or 1x15. For louder gigs, I use two Bag End 2x10's. One day those will go in favor of a C8 and another C4--funds willing!

chupacerveza and uwrossl like this.
  10. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I've popped my PJB suitcase combo on a 4 x 10 cab to do gigs w/ a loud band. What happens is 1 cab is way more efficient than the other. It's been a long time so i forget which cab took the brunt but it worked fine. It is a bit of a strain on the head due to the ohms difference so beware to match as best as possible.

uwrossl likes this.