1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Philly PD Seek Flyers Fans in Postgame Fight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 5, 2012.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Link here:

Philly PD Seek Flyers Fans in Postgame Fight - ABC News

Between that and Police: Phillies Fan Assaults, Vomits on Cop and Family, I have lost ALL respect for Philly sports fans. Yes, there are some good ones, but this is the last straw. I understand they are proud of their teams but there is NO excuse for taking it out on a fan.

Going to college in PA, I attended my share of Flyers games. I'm a Devils fan, but a hockey fan first. But I will NEVER don a Flyers jersey. At one of these games, I witnessed a bunch of drunks berate a 6 year old child wearing a Marty Brodeur jersey, JUST BECAUSE HE LIKED SOMEONE ON THE OTHER TIME. This is absurd.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    This kind of behavior is not exclusive to Flyers fans. It happens far too often, in far too many cities, with every sport.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Might just be me, but it seems rampant with Philly. They're a rival of every team of mine, but here in NJ, we're tolerant of other fans.

4. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I grew up outside Philly and the fans there are pretty bad. I'm not sure they're any worse than fanatics from other metro centers, but I wouldn't put anything past a mini swarm of the downtrodden.

If half those dunces would put half of their effort into anything commendable, this world full of hate would instantly turn on its axis and improve tremendously.

5. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    This.

I've been running around about a zillion forums trying to tell people this, but being a Philadelphia sports fan means I am already foaming at the mouth eathing whiz withouts too fast to understand how sports work

6. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    ROFL

If you say so man.

In NNJ and around NYC, the Rangers or Devils could win the Cup and the Yankees could sign Todd Overthehill to a AA contract and the latter would be on the cover of the NY Daily News.

Tolerant?

If there's one thing Philly/NY/NJ fans can agree on it's:

We all hate Boston.

So stop and think about how tolerant you are of the Boston fans?

I am also sure there were no fights that broke out during the Giants/Jets games...lmao.

You go ANYWHERE wearing another team's colors and you're going to get hassled.

Even if the team sucks...the wifey to be is an O's season ticket holder and when the Yanks would come into town there was no tolerance.

And don't even get me started on Rutgers, or any other college...so before you start talking about being "holier than thou", stop being blind.

Devils fans aren't "mean" because even when they were in the mix they aren't and will never be as popular as teams like the Rangers and Flyers.

By all means I am not flipping out on you, but I've grown up in this area and know that Philadelphia will always have the reputation.

But anyone who has been to MSG, Camden Yards, the Verizon Center, Heinz Field, etc etc will clearly see that the home team always has bad blood against the away team.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Liking the opposition team shouldn't be a welcome mat for becoming oppressed.

I went to a couple of Leafs games as I got free tickets and saw some people getting some ribbing, but it was all good-natured. You'd see the Leafs fans doing it with a smile and the guys getting ribbed would smile back and either laugh or throw a friendly jab about the Leafs to the fan.

Not one instance of anybody getting pissed, violent, or even verbally abusive. And no, I wasn't in the expensive seats but rather the "party" section up high.

The commentators calling the games I watch have mentioned on a couple of occasions that previewing the Flyers game are montages of fights and opposing players getting injured by Flyers players. That kind of reinforcement of violence can only lead to the public thinking this is acceptable behavior. Maybe the montages have changed recently, but that's what has been said (with disgust) by these commentators for the last few years... and I agree with that stance.

I've even seen a video of fans waiting for a subway after the game pushing, shoving, and verbal abusing a lone fan of the other team, to the point where it was incredibly palpable that it was going to degenerate into a full-blown physical beatdown. The outcast feels this and you can see his fear and he makes the smartest decision ever ; to leave the subway as fast as he can. I can only imagine how badly he would've been beaten in the closed confines of a subway car overtaken by a crowd of fans just itching to let somebody have it... just because they can and can get away with it.

8. It is absolutely disgusting.

It is JUST a game. This statement alone would probably earn a beating from some rabid sports 'fans'. But, at the end of the day, if your self-worth is tied to the performance of a bunch of over-paid athletes playing some kind of a game, there are other issues in your life.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've been travelling around the country for years to attend NFL, NHL, NBA, and college football games. The kind of "fans" who get violent like this are usually not really fans of the team or the game, more like people who perhaps like the team but also like to fight and harass people.

For the record, I've been to Philly for NFL and NHL games and never had a problem with violent fans. Plenty of good natured harassment, which is cool by me.

-Mike

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I've been all over and have seen many ignorant fans, but generally being fan of Philly teams myself, I'm freaking embarrassed by the especially pathetic behavior of some Philly fans. It's not like they do anything that other (bad) fans don't elsewhere, it just seems like there are so damn many of them. I mean you get a few bad apples in every bunch but Philly takes the cake in the sheer amount of them. I'm sick of it. I'm pretty much done with Philly teams.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1 -Absolutely true.

12. Should see what happens at Old Firm football (soccer) games here, (The 'Old Firm' are Rangers and Celtic).

It doesn't even have anything to do with football most of the time.

Rangers - Protestant, pro-Union
    Celtic - Catholic, anti-Union, pro- Independence (generally for N.Ireland)

I will add, that even with the reputation, it is still a minority ruining it for the majority.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Firm

13. since drunken, unruly Philly fans will back down and flee without a numbers advantage just take it to the next level.

When you're outnumbered just give them a whack across the back of the knee with this.

bleeding-machete.

The sheer horror will paralyze them with fear.

i do not advocate violence but when you need to defend yourself, family, or friends...

14. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    It's really a shame. I'm a huge sports fan but I'm not going to see a home game for the Dodgers, Raiders and now Flyers. Nobody needs to think about if they're going to be physically harmed for just going to an event. I agree with another poster, these folks are just people looking for a reason to fight anyway. I'm a huge Saints fan (I'm originally from MS which is Saints country) but it never crosses my mind to get nasty with a Falcons fan. The problem is when this behavior is not checked and it's allowed to grow into a culture which you now have in LA and Oakland. It needed to be checked a long time ago and nobody did anything about it. Now they have a real problem on their hands.

15. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Hate all you want guys!

Go Bruins! ;)

Attached Files:

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
  17. Jersey, Americas armpit... GO FLYERS!

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Still...I'd rather be the armpit than the rectum.

20. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Well, like the saying goes, a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Of course a bunch of drunk a-holes starting a brawl at a cheesesteak joint is going to make news. I don't think it's cool to beat the hell out of someone just for wearing another team's jersey... But, at the same time, I don't think the type of people that keep making news for beating people up or really bad behavior at games should be made to represent Philly fans as a whole. If most fans in Philadelphia were this rowdy, they'd bring back the jail at the Linc and put jails at the Bank and Wells Fargo Center, too.

On a side note, I was actually surprised how tame the crowd was at the Linc when we went back in October. Granted, it was the infamous San Fran debacle, but even before the game, there were Niners fans walking around in full garb, and hardly anything was said to them at all. Even at the tailgate...