Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Philosophy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Does philosophy interest anyone else here?

I went on a book binge today, and bought:

Bertrand Russell: Problems with Philosophy and Why I Am Not A Christian
    Soren Kierkegaard: Fear and Trembling
    Plato: Republic

Earlier this week, I bought Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which I am enjoying.

I've read the two major Ayn Rand works and a few smaller ones, and I've read parts of a Kierkegaard Anthology.

I find this stuff extremely interesting. Does anyone else find it thus? If so, what do you recommend I pick up next time I do a philosophy binge?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like talking about it, but I usually confuse myself in lengthy discussions.

-Mike

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    My first philospohy lecturer at university told me:

Philosophy is not about finding the answers, it's about understanding the questions.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Fear and Trembling is excellent. I enjoy Kierkegaard.

brad cook

5. Waterfor10days

Waterfor10days

Nov 8, 2003
    Ah yes Philosophy is amazing. Glad to see some others are actually interested in reading it. For a good time pick up some Kant.

‘”Perhaps” the supreme word in human philosophy.’

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Catholic Clerical Students have to take over 30 credits of philosophy, it helps explain and understand the grey areas.

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I think we're starting Plato at school in a few weeks.

8. great read! I read it earlier this school year for english. good stuff.

9. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm not so much into formal philosphy, but I like having philosophical discussions among friends. Sometimes my favorite thing to do is to just lay out under the stars and just start "what if" topics. It's amazing how many hours can fly by when talking about the shape of the universe and by how many dimensions there really are.

10. Ah Plato's Republic, good choice! I've just got into philosophy and that was the first "classic" text I read. Hoping to study it at uni next year :) As for next things to buy, 'Invitation to Philosophy' by Martin Hollis is the best introduction I have read, there are endless classics out there; I want to read 'Concept of Mind' by Gilbert Ryle next.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Taking the History of Western Philosophy right now, been through Heraclitos, Anaximenes, Anaximander, Plato, Aristotle, Descartes and Spinoza, working on Hume now.

Philosophy is CRAZY abstract, and the funny thing is that the more you understand it, the harder it is to explain it. I've liked some of the stuff we've read, but I've always been more intrigued by the Eastern philosophers like Chuang Tzu and some Zen philosophy.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thus? Thus? What's with all this thus??

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
  14. (to the original question: ) Yes it does. I am one of those who proves me correct.

15. I kinda found Plato's Republic to kinda suck, really. I don't dig his style of writing (it's like the way Friends is funny because the rest of the script is worded to build up to be able to deliver hte punch-line, almost), and the concepts sorta suck too. The whole "Do not let them speak of evil, or about Hell" and so on is just stupid, really; it's like a bad dictatorship. Equally, most of him allegories demonstrate his points well but at the same time his points are typically flawed. As our philosophy teacher said: The thing we do with Republic is build it up to knock it down.

Russell's The History Of Western Philosophy was interesting to a point, but it just didn't inspire me much.

One book that has made me think and assess the world more than any other (and bamboozle my phil. teacher!) is "Straw Dogs" by John Gray. Also, "The Templar Revelation" by...damn, I've forgotten for now, but anyway, that books rules too. It makes you think and in most cases doubt the roots of Christianity so much. It's a proper research into the way that we portray Christ, Catholicism and Christianity in general. There's some awesome stuff in there.

Buy Straw Dogs now.

Mark.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I did my degree on Philosophy and read all those many years ago.

I would recommend :

Philosophical Fragments by Kierkegaard

and then read :

Philosophical Investigations by Wittgenstein.

In that order!! ;)

Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein are the only philosophers who actually make me laugh!!

17. It's not philosophy per se, but I highly recommend "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter.

It will make you think.

18. One of the greatest philosophers was Socrates;
    his most famous student was Plato.
    Plato's most famous student was Aristotle; Aristotle's most famous student was...?

That's right, Alexander The Great.

I play bass, therefore I am. :p

Mike ;)

19. We could discuss this, philisophically of course. I will not at this time, for I am hungry because food has not entered my mouth in quite a few hours.

Good day.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "The Holographic Universe", by Michael Talbot.

Not exactly philosophy, but it does have some serious ramifications on how we view the world around us and what our lives may mean. I went from being a die hard fundamentalist to being very open and questioning everything, and this book played a large part of that change.

Not to get overly religious, but I think every person who has an interest in philosophic thought should attempt to read some holy books in their entirity. I've read the Bible straight through twice, and am currently struggling through the Koran (B'Ghad Vita is next). Alot of our current thought has been shaped over the years by various religions, and it's interesting to see what it's actually doing to our brains from the source (which most people don't read, whether they believe it or not).