1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Philosophy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 27, 2004.

1. I'm currently sloshing through Kant.

Though I was skeptical at first about him, I actually find a lot of what he says very intriguing and compelling. In addition, Hume is required prerequisite to Kant...partially for the concepts, but also for the dry writing style.

A lot of western knowledge and learning is based around the principles Kant developed and they have been proven to be very useful on many occasions.

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I received my B.S. in philosophy (appropriately enough,) love it. keeps me awake nights.

I think its important to read and understand philosophy "in order." that is, to start with the pre-socratics and move historically towards today. also, i think its necessary to understand the historical periods in which each thinker thought. Bertrand Russel's History of Western Philosophy has some merits in this sense, in that Bert takes a few moments to discuss what it was like to be in the writers time, what events and ideas shaped the age. Its kind of a life-long reading project, but ultimately the one with the most worth.

I started off, as a teenager, reading ole fred nietzche and sartre, and while i dug it, it wasn't until i understood plato, hegel, and schopenhauer that i started to "get it." and without having read descartes prior to husserl, i'd never have "gotten" heidegger. Its all connected.

A contemporary favorite is a fellow by the name of Richard Rorty, was at UVA but now i'm unsure of where he's teaching, maybe somewhere in california. Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity is a good book.

good thread.

3. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    One of the better aspects of being German is to be able to read Hegel, Kant, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Popper, Marx, and so on in their original versions. Which I plan to do some day...

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i love wittgenstein! :hyper:

*philosophy geek*

5. Ahh Philosophy

I tell you this : If a tree was to fall in the woods what would that be a bass or guitar :D

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    It did for a while. I read most of Plato's stuff, much of Nietzche's, lots of Voltaire, lots of weird existential stuff a la Sartre, and some Rousseau before realizing that I was going to take Political and Philosophical Thought I and II next year (12th grade) and probably major in Intellectual History (and Music) in college.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Repeat after me: "You want me to supersize that for you, sir?"

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Nah. These days, no one cares what you major in. I'm probably going to go for a profesisonal degree after my majors. A degree in Intellectual History can set you up to teach philosophy, history, English, other languages, or even things like scientific history. It's considered a "serious" major by most universities, and in addition and most importantly, it is something that I am interested in.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's the KJV, which isn't really used any more by any Church, at least not in the UK. The language is archaic anyway and although some parts may have been accurate in the 16th/17th centuries when it was being translated, English has evolved as a language and meanings of words change.

There are a lot of better translations out there that are pretty accurate. You can't do too badly if you look at a few different decent versions like the NJB, NRSV, NIV and REB.