1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Philosophy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well they are two completely different things and you might well say that religion and philosophy are actually opposites!!

So - as some people have mentioned : Philosophy has no answers but helps you define your questions accurately; whereas Religion has answers without clearly-defined questions!! ;)

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Agreed. But don't you think that world religions have had an influence on how we think, even if you are not a religious person? It's like how your parents influence the way you are as a person later in life, even if you try not to be like them in every way. True, religion can be seen as the opposite of philosophy, but neither philosophy nor religion can be viewed in a total vacuum either.

3. The Bible's only really useful if you read the original Hebrew version, seeing as the English "translation" is actually pretty badly distorted and in many places deviates significantly from the original and in fact retells some stories differently to back up what the Church had been telling people. Also, the English version had to make up many sections for the same reason, and a good deal of the phrases and manners of speaking we use now come from this "translation". The other bugbear is that unless you go down the Jehovas Witness line, it's all metaphor and when you get metaphor you get variable interpretations which is never good for trying to get a unified theory.

Anyhoo, I need some eats!

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Good point as well. Perhaps then, in line with this thread, religious books should be read to see what the apparent philosophers in it say. Read them with the mindset of Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha, etc. as philosophers, in the same vein as Freud, Niztche, and others.

Ok, back to philosophy! Here's a philosophy question for you guys to ponder:

Do donut holes exist?

5. I think I am a sweet potato, therefore, I yam. :p :D

Mike :D

6. I always felt there was something unsound about Plato. You nailed it!

7. yeah thats the part you stick your finger in when you use the donut like a wheel with your hand being a pretend car! :hyper:

:D Actually I would answer no, but that is just the way I think.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The Bible is on my summer reading list. I'll probably take it a few books at a time.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think that donut holes exist. They are figments of our collective imagination.

Now, if donut holes don't exist, how do cops get fat on them? :D

10. Donut holes DO exist. They are there to determine where the donut IS NOT from an inside perspective. Thus, we can sleep well at night knowing that donuts can be explained to annoying, precocious children as: nothing-donut-nothing. Without the hole it would simply be: nothing-donut. :rolleyes:

I have two friends that can corroborate this. Their names are Phil and Sofie.

I sometimes tell people to go away because they bother me, but I'm not sure what bothers me, why the bother is here, or if there is a logical plan for this bother administered by a benevolent creator being outside of time. Plus, if you actually did go away, would not something from away come here to fill the donut-hole sized void that you left by leaving, or did not leave? :confused:

Mike :D

11. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Holes are a lack of existance isolated amongst existance. It's odd that the exact nature of non-existance is determined by what exactly is not existing and the shape and position of the non-existance. The lack of existance of dough is a doughnut hole, or bagel hole. The lack of existance of shoe leather can either be an eyelet, a ventalation hole, or the opening of the shoe.

Here's something else: cleavage. Does it exist? No? Then why do women spend money on bras that enhance what doesn't exist? And why am I so drawn to it? Are women, in fact, controlling me with nothing? Is it some sort of mental blackhole??

Oh and *******s, do they exist? If not, why are not allow to mention them on national television and radio?

12. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Or Nothing-donut-buvarian creme....mmmm, creme from Buvaria

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

So what are the little round things that donut shops are selling as "donut holes"? Have donut makers trancended the laws of physics?

14. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    No, they are just inaccurately named. Assuming donut holes are indeed the product of cutting the middle out of a disc of dough (not all doughnuts are made that way), the excess dough left behind is not the hole. That's like digging and calling the pile of dirt left behind a "hole". Donut hole just sound better than donut biproduct. ONe donut company calls them munchkins, I'm not sure if they still do, that might get them into a little lawsuit.....

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have absolutely no interest in philosophy.

:D

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks! glad you like it.

oh...that one. nevermind :D (yeah, that's where the name came from)

17. Donut holes are just an abstraction. It's really that simple.

All the properties of donut holes - ALL of em - are derived from those of donuts. That means when you speak of donut holes, you actually referring to an abstraction of a certain facet of the donut entity. Speaking of such a hole in and of itself would be meaningless, because without a donut our donut hole has no properties and is just a bit of semantic trickery.

Same goes for cleavage obviously, although much more mental effort must go into thinking about that which cleavage is defined as the absence of, than donut holes.

Err... yeah. Make sense?

18. I recommend Arthur Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation".

19. I think you just hit upon something, AltIII. :)

Yay for cleavage! :hyper:

Mike :)

20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Thought I'd give this thing a bump.

I've picked up all sorts of philosophy since this thread started:
    Aristotle's Metaphysics and Nicomachean Ethics
    James' Pragmatism
    Jeans' Philosophy of Physics
    Aurelius' Meditations
    Several pieces by Einstein on Relativity
    Machiavelli's The Prince
    The Federalist Papers
    The Communist Manifesto
    The Dialouges of Plato
    Adler's Ten Philosophical Mistakes
    et cetera

It's going to take me a while to read through these, and I'm forever buying new ones too.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump (first in a few months).