1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phish Returns!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lm183902, Oct 1, 2008.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    After a four year hiatus, Phish just announced at around 3 AM that they would be returning for three shows at the Hampton Colliseum in Hampton Virginia. Very exciting news for Phish fans. Can't wait to see Mike Gordon hold down the low end once again with this amazing band.

2. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :hyper:

4. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea, I was thinking Summer '09 too, due to all the rumors and Page's announcement a month or two back. Who would have thought it would have been before that?!

My credit card is a little worried, too: As is my liver.

5. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Break out your tie dye and your hemp! Don't forget to bring the good kool-ade.

6. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is Phish, not the Dead. :spit:

7. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI

haha :)

8. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Never seen Phish, but I've been listening to them a lot lately. Thinking of hitting up this show.

Also what are you disagreeing with me on? The tye-dye or the kool-ade? Last I checked they where big on both (although maybe I'm just making assumptions).

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There is the element of suburban hippie chicks there, but for the most part, the whole tie-dye thing kind of left with the Dead. I've been to many Phish shows and I've never seen kool aid, other than real kool aid. Not saying that I haven't seen or partaken in any other type of extra curricular activities. But no kool aid. You're comment just sounded like you were making a blanket comparison to the Grateful Dead, and the hippies, and acid Kool Aid test with Ken Kessey and the Merrymakers. I was busting your chops, but Phish is a different animal than the Dead. Go and see them. Tell me I'm wrong. ;)

10. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    No...that is not what I meant, I just said Kool-ade so that it wasn't blatantly apparent to the younger more impressionable TB-ers what I was talking about....and I've never seen a Phish shirt that wasn't tie-dye, or at least rainbow in some way.

Yeah I enjoy the dead in small doses (I'll go on a dead kick now and then), but they get way to disconnected from each other for my taste (some of the extended jams its like they are all just off in their own little worlds) but it is amazing when they pull it all back together. I could care less for harsh feedback and crap like that, but I do like the pulling from folk and blues thing which gives all the songs distinct characteristics and makes them memorable (verses ad variety).

Phish is a lot tighter, less off the wall and more musical IMHO, but the songs are less structured and more about simple catchy choruses used to launch jams.

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LOL. Ok. I'm not going to argue with you. Go see them. :D

Now how do we go about getting tickets. :eyebrow:

12. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
  13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well since you don't have your profile filled out, I don't know where you're coming from. ;) Maybe it's an east coast thing. But, I have about four or five Phish shirts, not one of them is tie dyed. Anyhoo, I've got to figure out if I can afford a trip back East for this if I can land some tix.

14. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Yeah I am East Coast...I should also fill out my profile, and make a little tag line thingy, and a sig...I keep forgetting...I think I'll do that now.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
  16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have 5 Dead shirts that aren't dyed either. My Rush Vapor Trails tour shirt is tie-dyed. Guess it all depends on what you want.

Haven't ever been to a Phish show (even though they hailed from 2 states away). Actually learning Chalk Dust Torture for the band I'm in now, which is the first Phish tune I've heard that I actually liked. I've only heard the Hoist album before this so my Phish exposure at this point is rather limited.

17. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    whaaaa?
    "you enjoy myself"
    "divided sky"

not to mention the 25+ other tunes that are theory master works!

18. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    They have a huge library... I'm just scratching the surface here, but was my impression based on what I have heard...I didn't mean it as a bad thing either, like I said I enjoy them more than the dead.

I've got 2 studio albums and a handful of live shows, most of which I dunno what tracks are what. Any recommendations?

19. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Reba is one of my favorite compositions. Not very many people/bands can pull that song off with ease.

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    bag it, tag it, sell it to the butcher in the store.