1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phone call?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DaDrew2112, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    So I emailed this cat about a band. After exchanging several emails he wants to do a phone call. I suggested that we jam. But he insisted on doing a phone call. He's been in some real projects so I guess he's a good player. But I mean...phone call? This guy lives like 10 minutes away from me. What could he learn through a phone call? I hate phone calls.

I've already given him a lot of the logistics. Like how old I am, how long i've been playing, influences, rig. So...

Any thoughts?

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Some people request that. I tend to see it more your way, but if I'm interested in jamming with someone and they want to talk to me on the phone, then I'll call 'em. No big whoop.

Eric66, schenknasty, CTW68 and 16 others like this.
  3. The phone is quite revealing of voice inflections which indicate evasiveness and telling lies.

4. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    I know i'm acting like a little punk about this but phone calls make me nervous and a lot of times I have no idea what people are saying. It confuses me sometimes, like i get disoriented on it. Weird, i know.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    How old are you?

6. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm 22. I realize it shouldn't be a problem. It's probably some kind of anxiety.

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I understand evolving communications etiquette and all, but a "Help, someone wants to talk to me on the telephone" post is a bit much.

I am sure the guy is just leery about meeting a stranger and wants to make sure you're not a slavering meth head looking to steal his gear.

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

5 minute phone call = 30+ emails.

You can cover a lot of ground on goals, expectations and all that in a short time. He's interested, otherwise he would not have requested a conversation. Take the opportunity to find out what his goals and expectations are as well. Save yourself a bunch of time.

After 5 minutes, you'll either feel a fit or you won't.

9. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Email & texts are impersonal and playing music with people requires a cohesive connection with them. And you will have to talk to him at some point. A quick call to suggest meeting in person shouldn't be to hard for you & put him at ease by actually hearing if you sound crazy (if thats really a concern of his).

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Back in my day my girlfriend had a party line for a phone.

You probably don't know what that is since you probably dont have much memory of phones that werent cellular. But It was a single phone number shared by multiple households.

So imagine trying to have a romantic conversation when her mom, dad, sibling or any of her neighbors might be silently listening in.

Now that's a reason to be nervous on a phone call.

Durallymax, mj_, BBQisgood and 24 others like this.
  11. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I hate the phone too but some people like it. I also get awkward on the phone but that's life we have to do things we don't want. I think it gives people more a sense of who you are and if things will click. I get it even though I usually don't phone people before meeting up. But I am 25 OP is 22 I think our generation is so used to just texting we forgot how to use the phone.

12. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Right on. I really wish we could skip the phone and go face to face because jamming with people is the whole point of this but eh.

Business must be conducted.

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Excellent idea for OP to empower themselves by considering the occasion a two-way interview.
    Also a good chance to grow a little by moving outside the comfort zone.

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    It is indeed a generational thing, and pretty amazing to see what a monumental event a phone call has become in today's culture.
    Most younger people consider a cold call highly invasive. Even most of my older acquaintances now demand on a set time and date before agreeing to a chat on the blower.

Lee Moses, Gabbs, Pudge Fish and 5 others like this.
  15. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Alright I let him know I'm going to call him tomorrow. I'll report back for you interested parties how it ends up. Thanks guys.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm 48 and I don't mind chatting about what I'm/they're looking for soley via email or text before meeting up. I find it's kinda easier, provided the person on the other end communicates well. If they don't, or they make an express request for a phone call then I'll give 'em a ring. Whatever's clever.

17. Outside of music, what career do you hope to be successful in if you are afraid of the telephone?

I am not that old, but this is the one thing about the 16-26 crowd that I still do not understand.

Your parents failed you in some way....please get over it. I work in mining science and safety....a text will not suffice if I am concerned about a structural collapse. If you are a mile below the surface and send me a text message....you will die.

ImNotJoel, BBQisgood, ak56 and 6 others like this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Some people like to meet first before they get together to play. Many like a face to face meeting (I do), but this guy wants to do it by phone. Nothing wrong with that. Relax.

Sixgunn likes this.
  19. stringtapper

stringtapper

Jun 24, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Why not skip meeting all together then? You could agree to each rent one of two hotel rooms with adjoining doors, set up in your respective rooms with the doors open and just jam. You could text the next song to each other even.

Sixgunn, Tari, Bassist4Eris and 2 others like this.
  20. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Clearly an age thing.
    I'm 50, quite comfortable with emails, texting, setting up rehearsals with strangers through Facebook and I honestly can't imagine taking a phone call being an issue, but I showed this to my 21-yr-old son and he got the OP's reaction immediately.
    Sometimes it's sad, getting old...

MTFD24 and rmayer like this.