1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phonic Powerpod package

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by RockinGamer, Apr 1, 2009.

1. RockinGamer

RockinGamer

Feb 3, 2007
  2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    It might work for practice but being that cheap it probably sounds like crap. You would be better off saving more money and getting something that you will not need to upgrade in a few months.

3. RockinGamer

RockinGamer

Feb 3, 2007
    Thanks for the response. Have you had experience with this model or are you just saying it sounds like crap based on price point?

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Based on price point. The fact of the matter is you would need to spend about $1000.00 to get anything that would be barely passable for a live gig.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've got the 740, and the 12" speakers (something like this:http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-740-Plus-S712-PA-Package?sku=630488). They're not going to win any prizes for being the greatest PA around, but for vocals in a small gig they work supprisingly. I wouldn't recommend putting much else through it.

Of course if you're building a "real" PA system you need to spend more - If you'd posted that you were looking at a $1000 system, then someone would have responded that you needed to spend that on subs alone. You could spend more than that on a mic! You WILL outgrow a system like this, but for $300, if it gets out out gigging then it'll have paid for itself long before it needs replacing.

If you can spring and extra $100 I'd look at this version:
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-740-Plus-S715-PA-Package?sku=630489

It's got a little more power, and bigger speakers. They're cheap and cheerfull, and will get the job done, until you're ready for something better. My main band has a "real" PA, but the Pod gets used for a few side projects, and for just vocals I'm very happy with it. The reviews on the MF site tend to agree.

Ian

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    That POS got a 31/2 star rating. Not exactly stellar. you need to take the musicians friend ratings with a grain of salt. The people who bought this wouldn't know a good sounding PA if they hears one. My suggestion to the OP is look for something used on Craigslist. With the economy the way it is you could get some decent equipment cheap. Look at Peavey or Yamaha both make good quality low priced gear. SAtay away from Behringer,Nady, Kustom and Phonic.