1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phosphor bronze bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rtslinger, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Okay people I need to know what is going to work best?
    Changing strings on my Epi El Segundo acoustic/ electric
    it came with Phosphor bronze roundwound bass strings not sure what make Epi. strings their basses with but, these strings lasted a long time.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I have a set of Elixirs that came on my Tacoma Thunderchief that were pretty dirty but still sound amazing and newish. The coating is just now starting to show fray a tiny bit in one spot. They aren't cheap but if I buy bronzewounds that's what I'm getting. Ernie Ball, DR, and D'Addario all make bronzewounds. Most ABGs probably come strung with D'Addarios.

3. AndyU

AndyU

May 4, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I always buy Ernie Balls and I love them. The last set I got someone else bought for me and got the D'Addarios, and they have held up pretty well and sound pretty good. But I think the Ernie Balls sound better even on my crappy Rogue.

4. dhines

dhines

Apr 22, 2008
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Thomastic acousticores. They last forever and don't have the clanky sound that most phosphor bronze strings have. The set I have on my Taylor AB2 have been on for probably 3 years and I play at least one gig a week with it. It is a rare night that I don't get a compliment on my tone.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore strings were on the Turner Renaissance I tried. They are very flexible, and very responsive to touch. But, they felt like they were trying to wriggle out from beneath the fingers of my fretting hand like little worms; ;) TI Jazzflats seem stiff in comparison.

To my ears, Acousticores sound more like oversize acoustic guitar strings than bass strings; not a judgement, just an observation.

I replaced the phosphor bronze rounds that were original equipment on my ABG with LaBella tape-wounds to add bottom and warmth, and attenuate upper-mids. So far, so good; I'll try TI flats if the LaBellas come up short.

FWIW, using a rubber sound hole plug has been necessary to fight feedback when amplified.

6. Thanks people as always very helpful
    I have Thomastik flats on my P and I love them should have guess they make and acoustics bronze string