1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Physical fitness doesn't "look" artistic

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WillyPop, Oct 30, 2013.

1. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Ashdown Amps, Yamaha, Musicman & Washburn Basses
    Let me just say that I'm lucky enought to be paid for staying in top physical condition being a mountain guide.

But the second thing that takes most of my time is bass playing. Unfortunatly, i've found out that for some people, musicians with prejudices, if you look particuliary fit,you're probably a show-off and you could be better by putting some more time on your bass.

My point is, well, I guess I feel sorrow for them. :crying: Any thoughts or experience about this?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    People are morons

Look at John Petrucci. The guy has monster chops and is an avid bodybuilder. He seems to make it all work just fine.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

4. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    Glenn Danzig
    Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein
    Duff McKagan
    Matt Sorum

All great musicians, who have also made a point of being physically fit.

5. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    yeah, right, I remeber telling to myself "HOLY SHUCK" when I saw him on a recent DVD and comparing him to a older one. This guy took huge mass in the last years. He was so flimsy as a teenager.

But yes, people in general are morons, I agree.

6. Don't forget Sting.

7. Nothing wrong with staying fit and being healthy. In fact, it will improve mental focus and reaction time/dexterity. Gone are the days when being a drug addled/booze addled musician and wearing it like a badge of honor is a good thing. Most of those guys are dead now or seriously screwed up.

8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Physically fit people in show business? Could never happen.

9. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    George Lynch-

Bercame a Competitive bodybuilder.

:hyper:

10. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    I've actually found working out helped me as a bass player. A stronger back made it easier to keep good posture while standing and playing, and I think the added forearm muscle helped my right hand endurance, although there's a bit of a trade off there as sometimes on the day of or after forearm excercises, my wrists are pretty sore.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It works both ways. As a fat middle aged man, I may not be sexually attractive enough for the young bands.

Bassammich likes this.
  12. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    So you are saying that people perceive you as something that has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons why they do?

There is an old saying...
    "If most people that you meet think that you are an A##hole, you probably are".
    Actually it's not an old saying. I just made it up!

13. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    I've found that a little bit of cardiovascular exercise each day and some free-weight exercises have helped me stay fit for the trials and tribulations of bass playing. Especially arm exercises for your forearms - help for slapping I've found

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    "Some might say that I'm a pretty shallow guy, but a shallow guy with a great ass"

Word I can back 100% without irony.

15. belzebass

belzebass

Feb 21, 2012
    Pun intended?

Well, I am sorry but you are a poser and a non-musician. I mean, how can you make ART being clean, shaven, neatly dressed conformist? You know, you gotta rebel against this society, and tatoos and dreadlocks and this vintage tshirts are our weapons! Don't sell out, don't take showers, don't listen to Bruno Mars!

Somehow looking poor is fashionable with many urban folks.
    But, hey, better look poor than be poor.

16. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Well, you know, people who aren't happy with what they are blame everything else. Like, for exemple, nobody is perfect and never screws up during a song (beside John Myung but he's a robot sooo :smug:) but when you make a mistake and a fat guitarist tells you : "well, spend too much time running last night?"

You know what I mean? Jealousy... :atoz:

And on the other hand, I could go BACONATOR all the way!

All right!! :D

17. Bass players are body shaming each other now?

What's wrong with staying fit so we can go without keeling over 2.5 hours into a 4 hour gig?

18. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    Lol just lay down some tasty bass lines and shut them up

19. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    Haters gonna hate. Keep doing your thing.

20. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    tim commerford is in shape.