1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Physical Mixer/preamp/di and scarlett 2i2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tryptaview, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Tryptaview

Tryptaview Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Hey guys im running ableton 10 live on a laptop with a scarlett 2i2 2nd gen. I run a guitar and bass into it and occasionally vocals. I want to get a mixer/preamp/di to run the instruments through before they go through the audio interface. Would a peavey pv6bt mixer work for this? Are their better options for mixing before the interface? I want actual hardware instead of using plugins exclusively. Thanks

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    What do you need to mix? Are you doing guitar, bass, and vocals at the same time?

Kro likes this.
  3. I wouldn't use any of these cheap mixers if you not simply need it for routing. They add nothing good to the mix. If you can afford a SSL SiX then we talk...
    Same goes for cheap DIs. Maybe watch out for a used Rupert Neve DI (RNDI).
    Or build a small channel-chain out of a good preamp and good compressor, not the really expensive ones, but look for GAP or Warm Audio or even the cheap Klerk-Teknik rebuilds of the LA2A, Pultec or Neve 1176. Forget these cheap mixers, you don't get 6 quality audio-channels and a digital multi-effects unit for < 200,-.

4. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Basically need to clean up the sound going into the interface. Especially the guitar is always muddy i guess would be the term. Record one at a time usually or guitar and bass at same time with vocals added after

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Are there any decent di preamp mixers that arent 1500 bucks. Were just a couple guys in a backroom recording stuff not dream theatre haha

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    you don't need a mixer, as you have a 2 channel interface and you are recording 2 things at a time. you can do this with EQ in your DAW. there are analog channel strips in the $350 range like the dbx 286s, presonus studio one channel, art pro channel, etc. but there are probably better ways to improve your sounds without breaking the bank. i know you said you want analog instead of plugins but... it may not be a wise move as you can spend this $350 on a channel strip and still have muddy guitars.

can you give a little more detail? how are you recording the guitar, directly plugged in to the interface? is it acoustic or electric? mic'ing an amp? mic'ing an acoustic?

eJake likes this.
  7. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    EQ is the answer.
    Rock on.

8. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Right now its just a guitar and a bass both passive plugged directly into the interface. The sound is just crappy. Maybe all i need is a di box with 2 channels to clean up the sound a bit? Guitar has a lot of fuzz mixed in with it and the bass has no lows or highs really. Haven't tried recording vocals yet because i want to solve this issue first but i will be. Also because im using the lite version of ableton live 10 i dont think it has an EQ

9. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    p10
    Physical hardware eq or a plug for DAW?

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Your choice. Simple as plugging your guitar/bass into a 10 band Eq pedal (Whirlwind Bass Ten for example) before it goes into the Scarllett or run it as a plugin, either way will get you there.
    Rock on.

11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    you do have EQ on Ableton lite 10.

electric or acoustic guitar? fuzz is... fuzz from a fuzz pedal? or fuzz/noise/interference that you don't want? you have the "inst" button pushed in on the interface? if this fuzz is something you don't want, perhaps the input level is too high? if the guitar has a battery perhaps it's dead? electric guitar direct into an interface with no amp and no amp simulator will almost always sound bad/not like a real guitar coming through an amp. just a fact of life.

what you might need is a software amp simulator for the guitar (if it's electric guitar). as for the bass having no lows or highs, definitely be sure the "inst" button is engaged, make sure your tone knob isn't all the way off, try new strings, etc. bass plugged direct in (if the instrument input is selected) should be nice and clear with plenty of highs and lows--if your bass is producing those frequencies. the DI in the scarlett is totally good enough to give you a clean signal. if you DON'T have the instrument input engaged, yeah it's going to sound bad no matter what.

definitely couldn't hurt to try an EQ pedal, but i think you may have other ways to solve your issues, but really still need answers to the specific questions i've asked to give proper guidance.

12. Are you sure you're using the right connections? Like the hiZ-input for the bass and the guitar? I can't imagine that a good sounding bass sounds just crappy through your interface.

13. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    yeah, this is what i meant by "do you have the "inst" button pushed in on the interface?". if not, the input isn't properly balanced for guitar/bass output.

14. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    Instrument button is on. Neither instruments use batteries. Both have 2 week old strings. So the scarlett already has a di?

15. Tryptaview

Jul 16, 2019
    No amp simulator just running them straight into interface

16. Hard to believe. The Scarlett isn't Neve, but if the bass is halfway decent and sounds good through an amp, it should sound good through the Focusrite, too. If you would look for an amp sound or tube sound, o.k., but "crappy"?
    How do you listen to the result? Nearfield monitors, headphones? Could you send an audio example here?

17. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I have a Scarlett interface, and I'd recommend you make sure it's not clipping, even if you have it set to INST. Mine with the channel volume at about 9 o'clock is enough to get clipping on most basses and guitars I use, and that's really not up very far. Play as hard as you can at the loudest possible volume on your instrument, and adjust the channel level until you get no red/orange light. Once you've made sure your levels are set properly to insure the cleanest possible recording, then use the EQ and other tools available within your DAW to adjust the sound to your liking. No extra hardware required.

If you did this and found you were still disappointed with your sound, then you could consider getting a pre-amp to use. I have a Presouns Studio Channel pre-amp, that has a great EQ and compressor, as well as a tube pre-amp for some added depth and warmth to the sound. It works great for recording, and I actually use it live as well. They can be found reasonably priced as well.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. The front panel inputs. You can't be any more direct than plugging directly into the interface.

DrMole, matante, dalahorse and 2 others like this.
  19. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    so if this is an electric guitar and if the fuzz is an effect you are putting on the guitar on purpose -- running it direct will make for a bad guitar sound. the sound of a guitar (especially distorted guitar) really gets its character from the amp and the speaker. put a mic in front of amp if at all possible, or try this Amp | Ableton.

20. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    You paid a lot of money for Ableton 10, use it.