1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piccolo bass and OC-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Hey there,
    I was thinking today about the OC-2
    and all of its deliciousness. While thinking
    of said pedal, I thought to myself, "Hey,
    what if a bass were strung with piccolo
    strings?"

Any ideas or results?
    Obviously it will track,
    but I am more curious about it
    maintaining that fat synth tone.

Also, they don't have to be piccolo
    specifically, just a gauge that would match
    the octave range of a bass' 12th frets and up.

Thanks for any help!!

2. No thoughts?

3. It's an interesting thought. My first guess was it would sound similar to the tone when you just play a guitar through it

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Didn't one of the guys from Tortoise do this?

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Many years ago my roomate decided that there was no way he would ever get a respectable deep fat low end out of his Gibson EB-0, so he strung it up with piccolo bass strings (tuned 8va) and then ran it through a Musitronics Octave Divider that was on all the time.

He still didn't get a respectable deep fat low end out of his Gibson EB-0, but at least he got an interesting sound. Tracking was fine.

6. I have a bass I am planning on stringing with Piccolo strings. I'll post some demos when I get it done!

7. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

Feb 12, 2008
    I think it's a great idea! I did a piccolo conversion on an inexpensive short scale bass to use with the Roland GK-3B pickup to a Roland GR-20 and it works real well. I have been meaning to process the straight string sound through my Boss ME-50B octave divider—it seems to me that there could be a world of cool sounds there. Let us know what you find out!

Thanks,
    Mike