Piccolo bass string and the nut problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by y_m_abouzeid, Oct 10, 2011.

1. y_m_abouzeid

y_m_abouzeid

Jun 17, 2011
    Hey brothers, I was wondering if it's feasible to buy piccolo string for my Ibanez http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSR200. I put the link of the bass in case any of you want to check its specifications; the size of the nut and such stuff.

Thanks in advance :)

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You really shouldn't have a problem putting piccolo strings on it. The main problem will be going up to thicker strings... string B E A D for example with a .135 Low B...

In general, the lighter gauge strings (.020P / .032 or something) you really don't want to play open anyway (well, thats my opinion)... Playing the strings open is the only time the string may move in the nut undesirably...

Go for it!

3. y_m_abouzeid

y_m_abouzeid

Jun 17, 2011

There isn't a Low B.. the nut is designed to fit standard E A D G strings. So does that mean that it will buzz with each open note?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I know there is no Low-B...

To be more clear... Strings fitting a nut is more of a problem when you are going to use Larger strings... Like when players put B E A D strings on a 4 string rather than EADG... With this case, modifying the nut may be needed...

Using Piccolo strings it shouldnt be an issue especially if the strings have a good break angle past the nut.

But in general, open .020P / .032 strings sound very "ringy" when played open compared to playing them fretted... I am not saying they will "buzz," but stating that there will be a tonal difference between the open string and the fretted...

Me personally as a bass player, I do not play open strings on the G / C on my 6 string bass. The Open G / C sounds much different than playing 5th fret of the same pitch.

Sorry for being confusing :D I should have been more clear...

5. y_m_abouzeid

y_m_abouzeid

Jun 17, 2011
    Oh! yeah I get it now. Thanks for your concern really :). What are the best piccolo strings I should get you think?

6. y_m_abouzeid

y_m_abouzeid

Jun 17, 2011
    d'addario piccolo are very much recommended by everyone.. but I wana know more about teh GHS boomers piccolo as well, the GHS boomers are very nice too.

7. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Would installing a zero fret help with the open string problem?

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    It would essentially change the scale length

9. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    What about one of these?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021