1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pick? ever? anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by eucalyptus, Oct 11, 2009.

1. eucalyptus

eucalyptus

Feb 17, 2009
    oakland, ca
    lame topic, i know. but it just popped into my head and i got curious. anyone ever use a pick to play the double bass? i had always used a pick almost exclusively when i played electric (thanks, Phil Lesh) but have never thought to try it on DB. i would try it right now but it's too late here and the neighbors would come-a-knockin'. it seems gimmicky and near sacrilege, but i imagine it would sound alright for fun..

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Not enough pulling power... leaves you with a thin sound. I think I tried it briefly once and wasn't impressed.

3. eucalyptus

eucalyptus

Feb 17, 2009
    oakland, ca
    that makes sense. but out of sheer curiosity i'm gonna try it tomorrow anyway with a thick pick, and will probably come to the same conclusion..

by the way, i see you're in SF. tonight i was at the powell st. BART station and saw a kid busking, playing the Bach cello suites on bass. he couldn't have been more than 22 or so and he sounded awesome! maybe instead of playing with picks i should just try to do justice with the dang bow..

4. You could also hit 'em with a stick, like on the Hungarian ütögardon :).

Of course, the ütögardon's strings are about 1/4" gut...

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yeah... I've been tempted to find a guitar player and do some impromtu swing in BART. Maybe once I get some slap callouses.

If you want to see sticks, check out Charnett Moffett smacking his bass with a french bow.

It's interesting to say the least.

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    +1 for the ütögardon!
    [​IMG]

7. This old friend of mine let a drummer do that and made some big $'s.

8. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Now, when you pick a pawpaw
    Or a prickly pear
    And you prick a raw paw
    Next time beware
    Don't pick the prickly pear with the paw
    When you pick a pear
    Try to use the claw
    But you don't need to use the claw
    When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
    Have I given you a clue ?

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I tried it once out of curiosity. I don't think you're gonna like the ergonomics of using a pick on a DB.

I've been playing a little more slab this year than anytime over the last decade. I'm really getting into a pick with a thumpy old P-bass I've got a hold of. The thing sounds like a bass drum with tonality. Love it.

10. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Caution --- If you play double bass with a pick, your Johnson will fall off!!!!!!!!!!:eyebrow:

11. The converse also is true.

12. If you pick your Johnson your double bass will fall off?

13. If you play double bass with your johnson, your p(r)ick will fall off?

14. Yikes! Clearly the road less travelled.