1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pick/finger player...pick storage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Jun 10, 2007.

1. I use my lips too.

Pickholder on a strap would probably be the best alternative.

And also, much like Spanky, I prefer the BF-2 to the BF-3. Its a great Flanger!

2. HeebeeJB

HeebeeJB

Jun 5, 2007
    Washington UK
    What ever happened to scratchplates!!

3. .Chris

.Chris

Jun 1, 2007
    I remember I removed a screw so it could slide in, or you could put it between pinky/Ring?? IT would be different.

4. sliceanddice

sliceanddice

Oct 29, 2004
    since I played Hardcore Punk, sometimes it wasn't economical to play with three fingers, I used to slip my pick where the neck connects with the body, or.... put a few strategic niches in your pickguard, so that you can use your pickguard as a pick holder :p

Maybe you could put them between your strings on the neck too????

slice

5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I like to hold them between my teeth. But my g/f doesn't like me doing it. She thinks I will swallow one :eyebrow:.

I do it anyway... :ninja:

6. last night i discovered that a pick fits quite nicely into a little gap between my neck pickup and the bass...its just if it's there it isnt ideal to rest my thumb on, put i could work around it i imagine

7. Been there. I never noticed it making an exit, if that's any consolation. :eyebrow: :eek:

8. been down that road too. same about never noticing it again though.

and i usually have a pick in my mouth all the time.

like ALL the time.

9. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    i like to go back and forth with fingers and picks so i keep one stuck in-between the bottom of my pickup and the body, makes for and easy grab or to put back

10. joshwa

joshwa

Dec 14, 2006
    charlotte, NC
    how about a small piece of two-sided tape on the back of your headstock?

always worked for me...

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Here's what I've done:

• My Planet Waves strap (the 3" wide black one) actually happens to have a pocket for a pick on it! It's very convenient!
    • I sometimes stick one under the pickguard.
    • I sometimes use a shirt pocket.
    • I once had a Dunlop pickholder mounted on my first bass.

12. dex

dex Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you don't slap you should try the thumb pick. I use plastic Dunlop thumb pick for a few songs where I mix fingers and pick. Hope this helps....
    P.S. You can check out Dominique Di Piazza, fantastic bass player.

[​IMG].

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Depending on how your strap is adjusted, and what kind it is. I have a Levy's nylon strap. You might be able to slide the pick between the strap adjustment/tensioner and the strap itself. Just push it up and it fits in very snuggly and is easy to pull out, doesn't fall out either.

14. NINoah

NINoah

Sep 14, 2008
    I got a sharp razor and cut a deep slit in the side of my strap that is just big enough to fit a pick. I also put a piece of low residue double sided tape on my pick guard and put the pick on that. I tried one of those pick holders you put on your headstock but I found it was to hard to get too :spit:

15. I think I have the perfect solution for you...at least it worked for me!

I bought a Digitech Bass Whammy ($795 on ebay) and modded it. It disengaged all of the whammy functions-which is ok because all I just use it for looks anyway...but I "turbo-charged" it so that when I press on the whammy it flings a pick heavenward and I snatch it out of mid air...then I use the pick for the chorus of the song and chuck it into the crowd for ENORMOUS CROWD APPLAUSE!!!

j/k I never use a pick and own a Whammy IV...I'm such a loser!

16. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    if you are playing with a pick then your bass should have a pickgaurd. I keep 1-3 picks somewhere around the lower cutaway of my jazz bass at most times, under the pickgaurd.

John

17. Equin

Equin

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +100

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One of my bass straps is a Pik-Pocket strap; it has a pocket near the strap holder that can hold a couple picks. You should look into them, especially if you only use a pick part of the time.

19. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i put em in between two strings on my headstock, so its sitting in between them, and the wood of the headstock.

u can hold several that way and itll never get in the way, and no one will notice ;)

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm primarily a fingerstyle player, but I occasionally use a pick in two of my three gigs. Between songs I just leave them on the amp.

But if I have to switch during a song, I'm with Geoff, I just palm it. I just curl my pinky (and if I'm not using it my ring finger) and hold it there. I can play fingerstyle or slap just fine and it's easy to "flick" the pick back to my index and thumb so I can switch back and forth quickly.

It's worth practicing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021