1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pick/finger player...pick storage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Jun 10, 2007.

1. i've never seen this question here...sorry if you've seen it a million times :(

i play mostly with fingers, but am starting to use a pick on some songs/parts of songs. i'm just wondering if there are any handy gadgets/ideas for places to stick the pick when not in use besides teeth or a micstand picholder?

laying it on the amp is pretty handy...on a small stage...but... i'm sure some of you guys have other sweet ideas :)
    thanks!

2. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    eventhough it has nothing to do with effects I will answer anyway, I use my teeth.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I like to use a Boss BF-2 since it sounds better than the BF-3 AND it's cheaper.

4. +1!

5. i know its not an effect...but its not a bass, its not an amp....and i dont want it in a spot where hardly anyone looks.... and it has to do with creativity...which is basically effects

6. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, that almost makes sense.

How about... technique? Miscellaneous?

I'm sure even [BG] would yield alot more responses.

7. Technique would have been a great place to put it. :)

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Technique, yo.

But yeah, the rare times I use a pick I hold it in my teeth when not using it.

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hold it in the flap of skin between my... uh... Nevermind. :ninja:

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Ankle?

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Let me guess- you can hold FOUR of them in there.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  13. Try the Wedgie pick holder. Attaches between strings at the headstock, and holds the picks by friction. Very neat.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I play like 50/50 pic/fingers

I do the following and always have at least 5 on hand.

1) Amp
    2) Back pocket
    3) Teeth, though I have a tendancy to bight down on them really hard while playing. Owie.
    4) The gap between my pickup and the bass body (wedge)

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Tucked halfway under the pickguard works if your instrument has one, otherwise I'd say top o' the amp.

16. I haven't used picks for a long while but when I did I would stick them between the string and the saddle adjustment screw/spring on my bridge (Depending on the type of bridge used of course) when I wasn't using them.

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I do this as well, but I don't bight down on 'um. Lately I haven't been playing with a pick as much as I use to except for specific things. I also will palm it and switch back and forth from pick to fingers for different parts in a song.

18. i use the pick holder on my strap...but thats just me:bag:

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I actually have to use music stands... dumb... but yeah.. so they make handy places for things like piicks and pencils..

Otherwise? teeth.. or I palm it

20. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I don't really use my teeth, but rather just the lips.

If it was a big part of my technique, then I would probably get a Dunlop holder and stick it on the back or side of the bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021