1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick my P-bass color!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Fiesta Red

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. Daphne Blue

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Other?

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey,

After having thought about it a zillion times, I finally got to a point that I'm going to build my own parts bass. I had a lot of hardware lying around and these are the specs so far:

Alder allparts p-bass body
    Maple rosewood allparts p-bass neck
    Schaller bml tuners
    Schaller high mass bridge
    Tortoise p-bass pickguard
    Tusq nut
    Dunlop straplocks
    Still thinking about the pickup (see the pickup-forum) either fender 60s, SD spb-1 or delano vintage p

Now I'm thinking of a colour to paint the body in.

It definately is going to have a rosewood fretboard (prefer the tone), tortoise pg and a clearcoated neck.

I'm doubting between these two colours:

Fiesta red
    Daphne blue

Here are examples of the colorcombos.

I wasn't going for the pino palladino look, but it happens to be one of my favorite looks.

What do you think?

http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/daphne1b.htm

IMG_4945.

2. Pathpounder

Pathpounder

Mar 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Lookin' like a pretty sweet combo.:cool:

3. iDylan

iDylan

Jun 27, 2008
    dallas texas
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Basses
    i say blue. but i hate red!
    either one looks pretty nice though. =]

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    With a tortoise pick guard, I'd paint it fiesta red. That's about the the only color that looks good with tortoise.

5. I'm not a red lover either, especially pinky looking red, so I'd go with the blue. Or even better would be Surf Green. :)

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Sonic Blue is a great P-Bass color but not one of your choices so I picked Daphne Blue.

7. My current faves in order:
    1. Sage green- but don't do it because I want to first. :)
    2. Mocha/Root Beer/Baby poop brown- I eventually return to this a my all-time favorite.
    3. White- this would need to be beat to heck.
    All require tortoise PG to make my world spin properly. Green & white can go w/the rosewood board but brown MUST have a maple FB. :cool:

8. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    I've never cared for fiesta red and tortoise, but that is just me. I personally think vintage white with tort and a rosewood neck is a totally classic combo. Might just be my all time favorite.

9. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    I like Fiesta Red the best out of the two mentioned.

10. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Shell Pink with a white pearloid pickguard, I always thought that was a sexy color (I'm strictly natural wood now, so I don't paint my basses anymore). Or Teal Green with a white pickguard. Or Fiesta Red with a black pickguard and maple fretboard. Or Inca Silver with a black or tortoise pickguard. You can't lose when picking any of those colors.

11. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Seafoam green... Mmmm

12. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I voted for "daphne blue", but the red bass is rad! Love the torty pickguard!

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you're really sticking with those two, I'd say the Fiesta Red because a) you like the Pino Palladino look and b) I think the tort looks better on it.

Having said that, I voted "other" since you gave me the option to chime in with my own suggestions. I personally love bursts (especially 3-tone sunburst, tobacco, honey, and cherry; less so for colored bursts like blue, green, etc) so a sunburst would easily be my personal first choice. But your musical influences don't seem too "traditional" so a sunburst might not be your taste. In that case I'd say my next choices that would "work" for you would be Olympic White or a Black.

But in the end, it all comes down to what YOU like. :)

14. that bass is red. that was easy...

15. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thank's for all the replies.

I'm not a fan of green or brown. So that's ruled out.

I don't think I can paint a sunburst so that's ruled out.

I prefer Daphne over Sonic Blue so that's ruled out.

I have also thought about white or black, but I chose not to paint it black or white for the simple reason that they are very common colours. It's the first time I built a parts bass and I want it to have a colour that sets it apart from the flock.

In % Daphne is winnig. Actually my favorite too.

16. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    Fiesta Red! love that color. looks sweet with the maple neck. fiesta red + maple + black pickguard... mmmm.

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I chose "other"...I have always wanted a "Butterscotch" P-bass with, with a tort pickguard and a rosewood neck...

18. Use that paint that changes colors depending the angle you look at it. You can get it at automotive stores. That would solve your problem. :)

19. bornwelsh

bornwelsh

Mar 10, 2009
  20. Fiesta Red!