Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by goodguy782, Sep 2, 2004.

1. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    I am trying to learn some blink 182 songs because I heard those are the best for beginners. BUT, I noticed he plays with a pick, and I can't keep up with him on a lot of the songs with my fingers, am I stupid for trying to learn blink songs playing with my fingers?

2. personally i don't think he is really that fast as far as switching notes, perhaps when it comes down to his picking speed.

are you stupid?? I am that to a lot of people, so it doesn't matter much what i say. do what you want, maybe you'll change as you start to play faster music (like I did). People say playing bass with a pick or left handed bassists or some other crap sucks, but the fact is, whatever the hell you wanna do, just go with it. I think many of us younger bassplayers have to realize that since there's always a guy around the other corner to make us look like crap on our instrument, that we should cut the BS and play however the hell we want, because that's the only way that something new might come out of what we do.

3. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    well, I know either way if I keep playing it im sure Ill get faster with my fingers but on songs like 'whats my age again' i cant even keep up with the main riff. It's not the note changes but the actual speed at which the notes are played. Im still pretty new too so Ill stick with it and see what happens. Thanks for the advice, probably good for all young bass players to hear.

4. The main difference in speed with pick or fingers is that with a pick you can play fast right at the beggining you just need the propoer technique but with fingers you must build your stamina and that takes time.

5. Well if you're just learning the song there's no need to play at the recorded tempo. Learn the song and play with a metronome at a tempo you feel comfortable with, then up it by 10-20 bpm at a time.

6. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    i cant believe i didnt think of doing that, thanks a lot! I feel kinda dumb for such a simple solution but now im excited to play it so thanks!