Pick Thickness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by flavorfactory, Nov 11, 2003.

1. .50mm or smaller

3 vote(s)
  2. .60 mm

13 vote(s)
  3. .70 mm

19 vote(s)
  4. .80 mm

10 vote(s)
  5. .90 mm

12 vote(s)
  6. 1 mm

42 vote(s)
  7. 1.5 mm

20 vote(s)
  8. 2.0 mm

20 vote(s)
  9. 2.5 mm

2 vote(s)
  10. 3.0 mm

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. For those of you who use picks, what size do you use?

Anything special about your choice?
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    When I do use a pick i use the Green Tortex .88
    On my ABG depending on the song,I use the pink
    Tortex or the yellow one,cant remember to size.:)
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WHen i do use one, its 2mm.
  4. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I like the 1.0 mm "Brain" picks. They have a little "grip" on them, seem to be the right size, look plain and feel great.

I don't pick much, I find my fingers have better intuition. But the pick sounds cool! I think it has a percussive effect and works really well for a "Billy Idol" sound.

For a g**tar I like the 0.76 size... same thing, "Brain" picks.
  5. Yeah, mine are 1.10, blue or purple Dunlops. I like em big like that. it's weird cause thats what my guitarist likes. too...
  6. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I use the thinnest picks that I can find. Picks the size of a Big Stubby absolutely kill my right hand technique.
  7. spellbound

Nov 3, 2003
    Blue Tortex pick
  8. I always use the orange Tortex .60mm. I find it very easy to double-pick with a thin pick.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IMO it's good to use a thinner pick on a bass to balance against the thicker strings.

I use the thin red Sharkfins because of the "noiseless" narrow tip.
  10. Don't you guys who use thin picks break them all the time? I do. Heck, I break the blue ones, er bend em.

Hey, anybody ever use a lighter and melt/burn parts of them?

Anybody use fingernail clippers on em?

just me?

Oh, and how many do you guys buy at a time? (I usually buy the store out of the blue tortex ones, just for fun, and because both of my guitarists and I use them)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use Dunlop .38mm nylon because it allows the proper flexability for me as I hold it between my index and ring finger while I Thump,Pluck,Tap,and pick all at the same time.
  12. tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Ditto here. I just picked up something very similar to these that have a starburst hole cut out of the middle for grip. I really like them, but they are a little more flexible than the solid .60 mms.

I really like the feel of the big stubbys but they are still too thick for me, if they made them in .70 to .80 I think that would rock.
  13. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Usually a 2.0mm Dunlop Gator Grip, great fundamental and excellent attack. But sometimes I'll use a .75mm Hercoflex gray when I need more high end.
  14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Clayton .80's, the milky white colored ones and
    nothing else...

15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    And yet when I post a pick thread I get ridiculed!! :D it's all good..

I use a combination of hella thick and hella thin ones...depends on 1) my mood 2)what song I'm playing...

16. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

well, i have some teckpick brass ones that i think are .50mm, and i have a dava control grip metal tip pick, and some cymbalic 1mm one's, and some ultex 1.14mm, mostly i use the brass teckpicks. that don't really fit under a width b/c they're super stiff for the thickness.
  17. I've sometimes used a nail clipper on mine, but normally only when I want to "sharpen" the end of the pick. It gives a slightly different tone.

Normally, when I purchase picks, I buy them in "bulk" (i.e. 1-2 hundred at a time). Saves a small amount of money, and at the rate that I lose picks, I need all the money I can get!
  18. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I use 0.60mm Jim Dunlops... They are grey I think they're made of nylon... I love them because they could do a better sound than many thicker picks... they are more bassy than thicker plastic picks... but they have well defined tone.
    Being light picks they don't do any noise and you can play very fast...
    I never broke one because they are made of nylon... and they help me having a light touch because I always tend to strum as hard as I can with a pick but this way I get slow and the sound sucks... using light picks you can't do this and your sound comes clean and defined...

ps I think they work better on hard strings 'cause they're so soft
  19. As a Carol Kaye disciple, I try to get the heaviest picks I can. Usually that means the red/white/blue Fender Heavy or the clear orange Jim Dunlop "X-H". I have also been known to use an Iowa Lottery ticket scratcher I got at the Fair. Kinda looks like a blunted pick.