1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picked up guitar, too. Huge mistake

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Wilmingtonian, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Now I have double the GAS.

krfoss, Criswell60, Ronzo and 18 others like this.
  2. BargeOn

BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Get a 6 string bass. Problem solved. Err maybe tripled.;)

FretFree, JCooper, HG1180 and 4 others like this.
  3. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I know the feeling. COVID related boredom (staying at home) and writing music more often caused me to take up guitar. I swore I would never play guitar for the first 20 years that I played bass. Enjoying it so far. The GAS was enjoyable while I had money left in the GAS fund. 2 guitars and 2 amps in the last 4 months. None of it for bass. The deep discounts popping up on Reverb from music stores trying to stay open during lockdown didn't help the GAS either. Probably done buying for now though. Keyword... Probably.

MonetBass, sonojono and rzamites like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    And which flavor? BEADGC or Bass VI style EADGBE? Collect them all! lol

BargeOn and mikewalker like this.
  5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    qixwx98kaohlopfdtx0u.jpg

6. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I missed having a guitar around the house.. bought a MIM Strat off a guy for $250.. I've picked it up occasionally but mostly it hangs there. The times I do pick it up I go straight to playing barre chords and those things freaking hurt when you don't use them regularly.

adams83 and 2cooltoolz like this.
  7. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I sold all my guitars a few years ago. Once a while I think about getting one again, but I can't even think of any songs I'm itching to play on the guitar, while there is a long list of songs I want to learn to play and cover on the bass. Generally speaking, almost all songs need a bassline, but there are plenty of songs that don't need any guitars, so the math is on the side of bass in terms of choice of songs you can play.

sonojono and Kipp Harrington like this.
  8. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    hmmm... maybe i shouldn't? unloading two basses and thinking of getting one. lol

9. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    You don't need to become a guitar player as your main instrument, but being able to look at another guitar player and understand what they are playing is a priceless skill for all bass players surrounded by a world of guitar players with poor communication skills. It will get you more work and you'll be a much better team player.

CB3UK, RedVee, gebass6 and 11 others like this.
  10. It is time to buy a piano now.

11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Ok... posting that is like bringing a 6 pack of Bud to an AA meeting.

12. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I agree about 2x the g.a.s. I bought a vintage mid 70's Aria Pro Diamond semi- hollow body E335 type to learn on. ($500). But I saved on amps because surprisingly the Rumble v3 40 sounds great with it. Maybe should have bought a cheap acoustic but no plans to buy another- buy once. Holds tuning great. Oh and you should have seen the look on my friend's faces when I played a few chords. Priceless.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Keyboard or guitar? less G.A.S?

14. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    If you compose music, keyboard is the better choice for composers, since the keyboard is much more logical than the fretboard layout, and you can play more than 6 notes simultaneously (necessary for the more complex chord structures). Add to that the ability to use sample libraries and synths and play pretty much any instrument with today's advanced sampling technology (drums, orchestra, guitars, basses, synths, jazz quartet--you name it). Want to compose/arrange an epic Hollywood orchestral cue? You'd do that on a keyboard with high-end orchestral sample libraries.

15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    4 string bass... check
    5 string Bass... Check
    Midi Bass... Check
    Fretless bass... Check
    6 String Bass... Check.
    Acoustic electric upright bass... Check
    6 String acoustic... Check
    12 string Acoustic... Check
    6 string nylon string electric guitar.. Check
    Strat... Check
    Les Paul... Check...
    Mandolin... Check
    Piano... Check...
    Hammond B3 and Leslie... Check...
    Mini Moog... Check
    Hammer Dulcimer... Check
    Banjo... Check

Call about rental space now that divorce is being finalized... Check. ;)

MonetBass, sonojono, spvmhc and 12 others like this.
  16. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I almost bought an electric guitar last week, something I have successfully avoided doing my entire life. I'm still hanging strong, for now ...

ZB5 likes this.
  17. I recently got a new guitar so I could retire my main player of the last 21 years, and honestly I couldn't be happier, it's just a better instrument for me in every way. On top of the six string bass I got last year to retire my beat-up old fiver, I think I'm done.

LUuV7ihr.jpg zR0rBgxr.jpg

18. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    thanks for this. let me check out my sample library with my midi controller for guitar patches.

19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)