1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard Epoxy pour experiment!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MovinTarget, Mar 25, 2020.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I've dabbled in pouring epoxy after watching one too many StoneCoat Countertop videos. I've done similar stuff with enamel paints on guitars and basses, so it will be interesting to see how this comes out.

Cheap pickguard came in the mail today so I'll be documenting my process/progress/failures should they be of any benefit to others... or a reminder to me why I should never do this again if it bombs, LOL!

Telanoc, JRA and mikewalker like this.
  2. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    20200325_183703.jpg

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Previous pour results:
    20200325_185147.jpg

I will go for slightly less chaotic effects but only slightly... the bass is red so some colors may clash too much.

PWRL, PizzaFiend, JRA and 3 others like this.
  4. I like that. So you’re basically making a resin sheet and you will cut the pickguard out of that? Can’t wait to see more.

5. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Trying pick the best colors... turquoise and blue are out soooo:
    20200325_192402.jpg
    20200325_192523.jpg

6. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    More like a resin skin on top of a cheap pickguard. I could probably do a pg of pure epoxy... but I need better cutting/finishing tools.

Also, I haven't had much luck with black tinted epoxy, it comes out purple regardless of the quantity of black dye used. I may just need to try a different dye. Here I don't have to worry as long as I use some clear so that the the base pg shows through... here-n-there...

7. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I think I am going to dam off the opening and edges to prevent run off, this will make it thicker, but also keep the colors from just spreading and pushing each other around too much.

Going to make using the blowtorch a tad more challenging with the tape sticking up...

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  8. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Forget damming the sides. Too hard to get clean edges and make sure there are no ripples for epoxy to run through and build up on the underside.

20200325_205712.jpg

The idea here is any run off moves away from the edges... easier to cut away excess than scrape off the underside.

I will also be using a thickener to make it less runny by nature:
    20200325_210358.jpg

Don't worry I don't have an expensive habit... ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Color test, found a good black and i really like mixing it with silver and interference (iridescent) blue.

This pic doesn't do it justice. Also reminds me I *really* need to have the pickguard perfectly level as you can see its running one direction...

20200325_224358.jpg

10. cmcbass

cmcbass Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    That color combo looks really nice.

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    subbed! :)

MovinTarget likes this.
  12. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    very cool! Keeping an eye on this...good luck.
    MJ

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. I would imagine that a pure epoxy guard would at some point become very brittle and inflexible and likely crack.

14. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    PWRL, geeza, Winslow and 5 others like this.
  15. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, it would probably be for a scenarios where the route is fairly minimal so there isn't much opportunity to flex.

Having said that, I've already played with pouring it flat and at least the stuff I'm using now (Stonecoat Countertops) is pretty durable and can flex pretty well.

16. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Sunlight hopefully helps bring out the sparkle...
    20200326_174039.jpg

That should look good against a red body!

PizzaFiend, Winslow, Telanoc and 3 others like this.
  17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Added underpinings so apart from a central support I can level a bet more easily. Just gotta scuff up the surface to encourage adhesion...

20200326_175630.jpg 20200326_175619.jpg

Telanoc, JRA, jmon and 2 others like this.
  18. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I checked some pg material I have. It comes in at .09" thick.

This piece of epoxy is .1" so its comparable and seems pretty flexible fully cured:

20200326_205753.jpg
    I think it would be fine for a pg.

Winslow, Telanoc, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  19. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Important tip:

Not only does scuffing the surface promote adhesion, it also helps remind you to TAKE OFF THE PROTECTIVE FILM so that you are actually promoting adhension to the PG and not some the film!!! /facepalm.

...but I am glad I noticed...

20200327_131919.jpg

Using a nonstick pan as a splill gaurd since I expect a bit of runn off...

20. Very cool. I'd seen some youtube clips where people were doing stuff like this, thought it looked cool.

As you can see in my avatar I have one bass that's got so many colors that I like the white pg. My other MM is candy apple red with a Grumpy face airbrushed in. Now my bronco is daphne blue and white pg, that bass could use some more "detail" being color or something.

Look forward to seeing that on your bass! :thumbsup:

JRA and MovinTarget like this.