1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Black 3-ply

12 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. White

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. No pickgaurd

78 vote(s)
    83.0%
  1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    When I bought my Warmoth body, I planned on leaving it "bare bones" to show the finish. Now, I'm having second thoughts. What do you think? (The neck is my Geddy Lee w/ black binding, inlays, and hardware). The PUPs are Lindy Fralin's split-coil Jazz w/ 5% overwind - the pick is off the Warmoth site and incorrectly shows the route on the neck PUP.

BP368A1.

Note: part of my reasoning is to cover the truss rod route, and the other is because I'm thinking in time the nitrocellulose is going to wear/nick/dull.

2. as much as i like pearl pickguards..

this is a fantastic body and doesnt need one

3. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    God that is super sexy! How can you think about covering that up?

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I think it would look great with a black PG.

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Under no circumstances would I cover that maple with a pickguard. And I've never thought of truss notches as ugly- they're just part of the body.

If you're concerned about the nitro (Warmoth does nitro? Or did you have someone else do it/do it yourself?), use a clear partial pickguard like you see on Celinders and some Sadowskys. Oh, and black pickguard screws will be less noticeable.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I did a quick Photoshop. I think it looks kinda stupid because of the P's position, it would look great if it was further up.

photoshops.

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'm not really a fan of that quilt... seems like the quilt went overboard! :p

8. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    last 2 w/o the p/g

photo1.

photo2.

photo3.

photo4.

photo5.

9. leave it as is. the pickguard destroys the reason why you would buy such a nice looking bass.

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, it doesn't look bad at all, I must admit. Kinda reminds me of a tiger for some reason. But I'd pass on the control plate for sure- at that point you lose out on the whole point of the flame top. Do you have a standard maple or rosewood board neck to put on that body, and save the Geddy neck for a painted or natural body? Just an idea. IMO, maple w/blocks and binding should go with 70s pickup spacing and without a figured top (I love custom ideas, but I realize that my tastes tend to make me want to build basses that look like something you'd see in a store, whether it's a Fender or not).

Of course, it's your bass, so do with it what you want (I'm sure you'll do that anyhow) and play the hell out of it.

11. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    No, hell no, not on that body.

12. mero

mero

Apr 17, 2003
    Portugal
    No. DonĀ“t do it. The body is good as it is.

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Clear pg would be nice.

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Clear PG would be cool. I say though, you should give the truss route a nice coat of flat black paint and leave it no PG.

15. putting on a pickguard would make holes in that body! no!

but if you must, a clear pickguard.

btw, that body is BEAUTIFUL. good purchase.

16. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    1+

17. Dunne

Dunne

Sep 3, 2006
    Illinois, USA
    +1, I agree with everyone else, leave it.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You put a pg on that body and I'll personally beat your a$$!:D

19. jazzcat02

jazzcat02

Jan 4, 2008
    Leave that body alone, don't put a pickguard on it! IMO it looks great as it is right now.
    ps. first post, hi everyone

20. Houkka

Houkka

Dec 19, 2007
    Finland
    Love it with the black pickguard, if you dont want to drill holes to the body, use dual-sided tape to attach the pickguard. Thats what i would do