Picking a backup band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Corbis, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Okay so I didn't feel good today and I stayed home. While I happened to be flipping through the channels and I wound up watching the Ashlee Simpson show. I guess she was picking out her back up band. So that got me thinking.....

When a pop acts wants like a "Rock" backup band (guitars bass drums) how does the band learn the music? Do they give them sheet music or recordings or something else? I wouldn't think recordings would be a good idea since they might leak on the internet or something.

I dunno I was just wondering how the whole process of Pop backup bands worked I guess.

Please don't make this a bashing thread like "WATCHING the Ashlee Simpson show would make me sick hahaha" or "What the same backup band that played the wrong song hahaha"
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    My guess is:

1. pop music(for the most part) isn't a complicated genre to absorb and play.
    2. If the sheet music is available I would assume it is sent to session musicians who passed auditions for the gig. If there is no sheet music an ear player could easily figure something out.
    3. I cannot see rehearsals after the "backup band" is selected so they would have to hone out some areas of specific songs. Ex: A synth track may be picked up by the guitarist but needs to be blended in properly.
    4. As far as the music leaking on the net.. Two things: One is if the CD is already out..who cares? If it isn't, that is where legal contracts are signed.

That's my view anyway.
    Hope it helps,
  3. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    most "band's" of this type are put together by a managment company, usually they will hire a musical director who either call's in people he or she knows or have very selective auditions(not open to everybody)after they have the band member's in place they will send them the music,track's and charts to learn BEFORE starting reh.also remember that some cases,such as ashlee simpson,there is programing that is playing along with the band so it's importent that band guy's know their parts,the artist is usually the only person who get to learn the song in reh,it is very importent that the band guy's know the stuff well as soon as possiple because if you don't that's a good way to get fired off a gig fast.guy's who play on pop gig's are usually fairly schooled musicians who have a certain set of skill's and a"look".