1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

picking a first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalmonkey, Jul 24, 2008.

1. metalmonkey

metalmonkey

Jul 21, 2008
    I've narrowed down my choice of a first bass to these following basses:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-J-Bass-102581444-i1150678.gc for about $130

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...-Junior-Jet-Bass-Guitar-100602747-i1320394.gc
    for about $175

they on sale, the gretsch had a really big price drop there. I'm really digging the gretsch, but the low string tension and the short scale is bothering me a little. the squier just seems really generic to me, but its pretty soild, nothing too great though. What would be best to learn on? i've been playing guitar for a few years, and im hoping to get a fretless bass in a few years.

2. kickupthejam

kickupthejam

Feb 22, 2008
    Perth
    The squier would be the sensible choice, but a gretsch....

Buy with your head, not your heart for your first bass; or get both

3. to learn on for a year or so till you get a nice bass id say go with the squier. Our school has them and theyre not to bad to play :)

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Whatever you buy, I suggest getting a pro-setup: adjust the string height, intonation, etc.

5. ^ agreed

Greg Benett and SX are also good choices

6. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    The lesson I learned too .. regardless of whether you're buying a $100 bass or a $1,000 bass is eventually, no matter how much you love it, you'll try selling it when you want another bass. Assuming you take care of whatever bass you buy, there's a bigger aftermarket for Squier/Fender than Gretsch.

With that said ... which one makes you want to play more?

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    www.rondomusic.com. SX is the best bang you'll get for your buck. I love my SX, but I hated my squire. Never had the two at the same time so I haven't compared them directly.

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    If you are seriously considering a Squier, you owe it to yourself to look at the SX line at rondomusic.com! My only caveat would be, if you have smallish hands the SX neck is not as thin (front to back) but, well if you look at my sig, you can see that I consider them a good value.

One other point, SX SJB basses, are larger than a Fender Jazz. They will fit in a standard gig bag no problem, BUT if you want a hard case it would be a good idea to get the case from Rondo, also a good value.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I say go with the Squire, though I would recommend a Precision instead of a Jazz. Simple is good in the beginning and even as you progress.

I also noticed that the Gretch is a short scale (30") this might make a standard scale length bass (34") feel huge to you.

Buy used if you can. Check the classifieds here on TB or your local craig's list. For that price, you may even be able to find a proper Fender (albeit Mexican) for that price. IME warranties on instruments are a non-issue.

10. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Well, I will throw in this for the Gretsch, when I've played it before it has been a joy to play. That said it is a short scale which could be kind of odd. But I may just have to get one someday.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021