1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking cabinets for a Mesa WD 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike NCal, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Mike NCal

Mike NCal Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Hoping that the group can help me make a difficult decision. I believe I’ve decided on the Mesa WD 800 for my new rig head. I currently play with two groups one plays anything from jazz to country but mostly blues, light rock to heavy rock. The other is a trio that plays old Sabbath, Cream, and other heavy three-piece rock songs. I currently play a Fender Jazz Bass out of an Eden combo With 610 inch speakers. I would like to have two cabinets to fill the stage or the decent size practice room with this amp as we would rarely have any PA help in the gigs we do. Trying to decide between 212s one 12 or 115 or combinations. I know a lot of it just depends on what you want to hear yourself, but would be especially interested in combination of cabinets. The practice room has two flights of stairs so I am looking at the lightweight subway cabinets in particular or other lightweight cabinets that could pair with this head. I’m also 60 with bad knees! Thanks.

Bigbri and murphy like this.
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Mesa Boogie Subway 112 + 115 would cover everything, including lightweight.

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you're unable to lift correctly, bad knees could end up as a bad back. That's what I was stupid enough to do!! Now I've got both!

I believe the Subway 12's mix with the 15's, so you could have one of each. I went with 2 Barefaced 112 cabs. That's a lot of tone and a lot of volume for 2 21lb lifts.

4. Mike NCal

Nov 25, 2019
    I was thinking of the 12 and 15" combination, too. Hoping for the best of both worlds. The 2 Ohm option allows many possibilities.

5. Mike NCal

Nov 25, 2019
    Do you feel the need for a 2 x 12 cabinet at all or the one twelves doing enough for a small club?

This Light weight gear is so much better at my age than the 8 10" Acoustic speakers I move used to move around or my 18" folded horn Orange cabinet Back in the day.

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I have an equivalent of a 212 when I use both my 112's. The volume and tone is good but the big benefit for me is that every time I move a cab I'm only lifting half the weight.

I use both cabs for 90% of my gigs. They still sound excellent at low volume. I have used 1 cab when the load in has been difficult and it's a low volume gig.

Separate cabs give more flexibility.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    In addition to weight, the shape of the cab influences things. I prefer a shallower cab as I find it easier to carry and easier to fight on tight stages. Been gigging Audio Kinesis Hathor H1203 for years now (25 lbs, 14" wide x 14" deep), and have the slightly taller version as a second cab when I need to push more air. I cover most of my gigs with one cab though.

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    eriky4003, ERIC31, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am over 60 and use a WD800 as my primary gigging amp. I play a similar mix of styles as you describe in your OP.

I have several cab options, but currently use the Bergantino CN212 as my goto cab for 90%+ of my gigs. I also have a CN112 that I can add for a 312 stack if really needed (not very often in my situation). Berg cabs sound great with the WD800.

Of course, I have also read that the Subway cabs, in their various configs, unsurprisingly also sound great with the WD800.
    If you need to get loud from time to time, its possible the Subway 2x15 could be a good fit. Its a very compact 2x15 cab, and while I have become a huge fan of 12" driver loaded cabs, there is something to be said about the bit bigger 2x15 format if it has been intelligently engineered (as would be expected from an agedhorse/Mesa design).

good news here is that there are lots of good cab options for you to choose from, and the WD800 is a stellar amp.
    so ... win-win!

good luck

dbase and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  10. Mike NCal

Nov 25, 2019
    Nice alternative
    How do they compare to the Subway cabinets in tone and weight or colouration?

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'm '70 and very happy with a 212, but don't need to do stairs very often. I have a d800 and a fEARful 12/12/6/1 (a 212 cab). They are amazing for blues, jazz, rock, gospel, reggae, etc. I use this rig with upright and electric a lot.

However, I think two 112 cabs from mesa or barefaced, or even two 12/6/1 or a 12/61 + 12sub might be a better option for stairs. Start out with one cab, and add the second later.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    chris_b likes this.
  12. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Do those casters lock on that cart?
    That would be a phat way to hold my rig, my cocktail and an ashtray.....

mikewalker, DrMole and dbase like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What size rooms are we talking about? How many people?

My hunch is that two of the 112 Subway cabs should get it done for small to medium rooms as long as your drummer and guitar player aren't too crazy loud. They would also meet your portability needs. Throw the head in a bag over your shoulder. Grab a 112 in each hand. If it's a fairly flat load in, a small cart would handle all of it easy. Whataya think, Andy?
    @agedhorse

14. Mike NCal

Nov 25, 2019
    Practice room is a large carpeted living room type size
    Guitarist plays Mesa Boogie M2 or M3 which was re tuned in Petaluma and barely is at 1 through a 2 x12 orange cab and 2 x 12 Mesa so there is some volume ;)

But as a 3 piece we're really trying to go more for balanced high fidelity for each instrument since each instrument is laid so open in the mix

Future gigs would not be large venues haha

15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    No they don't lock, but I never had any problems... ;)

16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'd put in a word for a pair of the Subway 1-15 cabs--or one of the Subway 2-15s. You'll have plenty of muscle on tap, and IMHO the Subway 15s have great midrange clarity and definition.

17. Yummy Notes

Yummy Notes

Dec 20, 2019
    I daydream about my future Mesa rig all the time, so FWIW. 2 Cabs and 2 flights of stairs-- I would suggest the Mesa Subway 112 at 32.9 lbs and the 115 at 37.9 lbs. The 212 or 215 are 52 lbs. and 60 lbs., respectively, which would make the trek up the stairs challenging. The single cabs are 400W at 8 ohms each, so a third cab down the road is an option as well.

Skillet and imabuddha like this.
  18. Mike NCal

Nov 25, 2019
    That is how I am leaning right now. Give me lots of flexibility inside the practice Room and out. Wow everybody, thanks what group knowledge and cooperation.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden make a 610 combo? I missed that. I bet it weighs a tonne...

I tried every combination of the Mesa Subway small cabs, and ended up happiest with the 210 over 115.

murphy and imabuddha like this.
  20. I love the sound from my Mesa Subway 15; it’s definitely worth the extra 5lbs over the 12 to me.

ObsessiveArcher and murphy like this.