Picking up a Bongo tommorow...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pastypyro, Feb 9, 2005.

1. pastypyro

Dec 4, 2004
    :hyper: Finally getting a real bass. Anybody have any suggestions on anything specific to look out for when purchasing one new? Also, what are the benefits of getting a piezo pickup setup? I'm really clueless when it comes to piezos. Would it be worth it? :help:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congratulations man! :)
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  4. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Search the bassplayer.com website for the review on the bongos with piezo.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Piezos are like the question of boxer vs briefs. Only you know what's comfy.

Let us know what you get. I'm known to rather like those Bongo things.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got piezos on both of my Bongos (fretted and fretless). I think the piezos are a must with a fretless Bongo, but I didn't really dig them on the fretted until I slapped some flats on there.

Congrats on the new bass!
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok, sorry, but what is a piezo, exactly?
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's a type of pickup found in the bridge saddles. Piezoelectric crystals produce a signal when direct contact with a vibrating string induces a current. It gives a tone that sounds "acoustic" and nasal. I have little use for it myself.
  9. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    well, just to let you know, if are thinking that you are going to buy one off of the shelf good luck. They are hard to come by in the combinations you want. And to order one takes about 3 months. So don't get too excited that quickly or else you might settle for less than you want. I am going on month 4 of my wait for my bongo. It's killer but it'll be worth it in the end.
  10. pastypyro

Dec 4, 2004
    I got one today without the piezo and they had some there with and I didn't really notice a difference on the amps they had out there. I still have to get the bass setup and what not but its so easy to play its hard to get used to because I'm used to compensating for crappy basses.

Maybe I would have noticed a difference with or without the piezo on my biamp setup but I don't see myself limited tonal wise with this setup.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ok, sorry, but what is a Bongo, exactly ?
    :D :D :D
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Are they REALLY worth the money?
  13. Yes they are. Buy a Bongo. Your ears will thank you.
  14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    No, I meant a piezo.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Cogratulations. You know own the greatest bass in the world. :)
  16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You won't know until you try them for yourself.

Dlloyd doesn't think they are worth the money. I obviously do. YMMV
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I can see situations where they would be worth the money, I just don't see myself in those situations :)
  18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I saw a few in the local GC yesterday. In person they look stunning- excellent fit and finish and the body style that first srikes you as ugly looks awesomely different from the mainstream shapes. I have gone from thinking they're weird looking to thinking they look great. I didn't have time to play one, but I will soon. Kudos to the guys that had the balls to buy one no matter what others are saying about the style. My understanding is that they sound like a million bucks. I have a Rumblefish, so I appreciate a different look. Viva la difference! :D
  19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. And, I managed to go 19 years of playing bass without piezos, too. :D
  20. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I went to my local GC yesterday to exchange a dead Monster cable. I checked out the bass room just to see what they had. A salesman came in and we got to talking. He asked if I had ever tried a Bongo. I told him that I hadn't and that I haven't quite warmed up to the look of the thing. I will be the first to admit that they do have killer tone for days (I've seen/heard a few on television. I especially liked Gail Ann Dorsey's tone when I saw her with Bowie on Leno a few months ago.). Anyway, the salesman insisted that I try one. He handed me a fiver with dual MMs. I must admit that I was blown away! I play four strings exclusively. I'm planning to get a fiver some day. I haven't felt comfortable on most of the ones I've tried. This bass felt like I had owned it for years! I am impressed. The Bongo is a thing of beauty! I want one!