1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking: What kind of picks do you use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Aug 25, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I do pretty much every way of playing bass there is, or, at least, I try.... But i've been getting more into metal and heavier alternative, so ive been working a bit more on my picking. Currently, I have some Clayton 1mm picks, the triangle ones. What kind of picks do you like, and why? Also, i cant seem to pick quickly, i always just hit the string and stop. Any advice?

2. I use Dunlop Tortex Blue for bass, Green for guitar.

Advice: Try a slightly lighter touch to get your speed up.

3. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Check out the heavy V-Picks. They are very sharp and Pointy and will definitely help your speed. They are very aggressive for bass.

4. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    The triangle or regular?

5. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I use Gravity Picks Classic Minis - 3mm thick. They are a little pricey, but worth it to me. They are custom picks that are individually ground and polished. The very smooth rounded profile with regard to the pick's thickness hangs up on strings far less often than any other pick I've tried. (I haven't tried them all, but I have tried many different brands, types, and materials over the years.) Although the picks don't have a particular texture (some laser engraving is all), they are still resistant to slips. I use them for both guitar and bass.

6. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    [DEL]Which one? Just the large pointed[/DEL]? And do you need paypal?

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I pick almost always.
    Best for me has been Dunlop Nylon
    1mm or .88mm
    i just find with them i have more control and i dont get alot of clack and dont move around while playing.

8. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    They seem great, the only problem I see is the price, because of all of the 12 picks in the pack i bought, i have about 5 left.... I suppose id be more careful with this, but is it really worth it?

9. keithbroussard

keithbroussard Supporting Member

I use Clayton 1.52 triangle picks. No problem with picking speed for me.

10. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    I'm with ya on the dunlop .88s. Cept I use the rounded gritty part to hit the string gives it a bit of a growl on the strike.

11. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I didn't think it was a problem with the pick, im just not good at it

12. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I use dunlop picks, depending on mood I'm somewhere between .73 and 1mm. I do have a 1.14, but rarely use it.

13. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    I use Dunlop .73's. got a really thick purple dunlop one somewhere too.

14. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Dunlop tortex sharp .88mm for occasional straight eighths, but I'm mostly a fingers player.

The nails on my index and middle fingers work pretty well, too.

15. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    The only thing is i have problems with thin picks, i dont like the feeling of them bending when i hit the string, i feel like it doesnt give as much power.

16. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    You'll get every type of response on this topic from "real bassist don't use picks" to "I use a .38mm (REALLY thin) cause I can play faster". My advice is to determine two things; 1- the thickness you like and 2- the shape you like. It's all subjective really. There are many thicknesses to pick from but most bass pick players tend to use anything from .88 mm on up to 3 mm with most falling around 1mm. There are three basic shapes that are most popular, the triangle (also called a 348), the "standard shape" (pointed triangle or 351) and a smaller teardrop shape (called a jazz or 358). There are other shapes but these are the most prevalent. What you need to do is go down to your local music store, or order online, and buy a few picks in various shapes and thicknesses. By trial and error, you will be able to decide what is best for YOU! Don't play a brand/thickness just because your favorite bassist use one, use what's right for you. Now, what I use is a standard Clayton Acetal 1mm. I like it cause it the style I used when playing guitar and the Clayton's seem to be a bit bigger than everyone elses standards. I have used Dunlop nylons in 1mm and the Tortexs in 1 and 1.14 mm and they are good picks. But trying to find the perfect pick is kinda hopeless, like finding the perfect strings, but just have fun and enjoy the hunt!

17. Excellent advice! It's such good advice that it should be in a separate thread with a sticky so everyone can refer to it. Myself, I use a Dunlop Big Stubby pick, the 2mm size in the 351 shape. It's made out of lexan, so it's very hard, and it's a very quiet pick with almost no clackiness. My personal preference, yours might be different. ;)

18. I have a light touch and very low tension strings (TI flats) so I use thinner gauge picks.

Dunlop Ultex Triangles .73 and Dunlop Max-Grip .88

19. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Depending on how you play, you should adjust the thickness. I play steels and a very thin pick .50 works and sounds great whereas my Big Stubby 2.0 mm ends up sounding more mellow