1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picks Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by P-BassPat, Mar 9, 2010.

1. P-BassPat

P-BassPat

Oct 25, 2008
    Hi all,
    I am far from being a virtuoso but I have only played the bass finger style, thus far.
    Many rock/punk bassists whose sound I really like use picks and I want to explore that avenue too.
    It really feels weird for now and I am wondering if I am using the wrong type of picks...
    Any recommendations on picks to use?
    Thanking you in advance!

2. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Buy a bunch and try them out. It's a relatively cheap and fun experiment. Most people would probably prefer the heavier ones.

3. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
  4. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I personally like Dunlop .88 (green tortex.) After they've been broken in a bit is when the start having a good feel to them. On 1mm or thicker I tend to drag, but that's just my technique. But like Surly says, try a bunch of different ones. What's right for one person will probably be wrong for someone else.

5. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Jan 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Dunlop .88 green here as well, I tried some Stubbies (2.0) way to heavy.

6. +1 on those Dunlop Nylons. I've been using those for a while now and they've been working out great. I used to use those big, fat 2mm picks because of the way they sounded versus skinny picks... when playing by myself. Yes the 2mm sounded better when playing solo but I couldn't get that pick-y sound in a live band mix unless I wrecked my hand death gripping the thing. Once I switched to skinny picks I found that grindy sound was much easier to achieve and playing it in the band mix made the annoying click go away and I was left with grind in spades and my hand didn't ache after every song.

Playing with a pick will take some getting used to. It felt a little weird to me at first as well so don't worry about it. Just practice good technique and it'll feel more natural in no time.

7. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    +1
    Try different brands, sizes, and materials.

8. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Fender 351's heavy.
    Have used the Dunlops mentioned above, they are good too.
    Try a bunch of different picks.

9. P-BassPat

P-BassPat

Oct 25, 2008
    Sweet!! Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, that's nice!!
    I will give a shot to those Dunlops : )

10. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    i started using dunlop nylon 1.0, but the thicker the pick i've been using lately, the flimsier those nylons feel. My friend had me try a dunlop 2.0mm and that's a bit too think for my taste, but i suggest a solid 1.0mm pick.

11. I use Fender-style thins when playing with a pick. I tried using big heavy picks but I couldn't stand the clacking sound I was getting. So I tried thins and not only was the clacking sound gone but I could play a lot faster as well. They get a bit chewed up after a while but I ger the cheapest picks I can find so I don't care.

Funny, but when I'm playing guitar I like the stiffest pick I can find. Thin strings, thick pick. Thick strings, thin pick.

12. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I started using thin picks, like .50's, but now I like thicker ones, to really get that heavy plucking sound.

13. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I used to use Dunlop nylon .88's (grey) but now I use these Snarling Dogs Brain Picks after happening on them at a store. They are 1mm, also dark grey, and have a grippy part to hold on to them better. Like them a lot.

14. Big Stubbys!! 3.0 mm

15. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Dunlop Ultex 1,0mm. Practically indestructible. I've played with ONE Ultex (well i'm 90% finger player so I don't use pick much, but still) for half a year and the only thing that has worn is paint. :rollno:

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I love the 2.0mm Big Stubbies. It seems like a lot of people say they get a lot of clack from a heavier pick but I don't find that to be true for me. I just get a nice solid feel without the give of a lighter pick, which I find harder to control. I do have some 3.0mm Big Stubbies, but I don't use them often. The 2.0's seem perfect for me.

I sometimes also play felt picks too. I love how they feel and sound when they're new but once they get used for a while the tip seems to get flattened and compressed and I'm not crazy about their sound when that happens. So once I've used all three "points" of a felt pick I just get rid of it. I also think the felt picks sound better on flats - just my preference.

Nothing wrong with other people's preferences for 1.0mm and lighter picks. It's all about personal preference so try all kinds and you'll find what works for you. Remember, it's A LOT cheaper to buy 10 packs of picks to try out then it is to try 10 basses! ;)

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't play with a pick much but I do like the thick purple stubbies. I'm also experimenting with those thumb-loop picks that banjo players use -- to try going back and forth between pick and fingerstyle. Anyone else try this?

18. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    snarling dog brain picks, i use the 1.14's. they feel great sound amazing and i have never dropped one kuz they have a sandpaper grip on them

19. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've been using a pick my whole playing life, although not full-time anymore. I use the dark gray .88 Dunlop nylons. I like them since they give just a little bit so you don't get a super rigid sound. I've had many guys say they can't believe I use a pick because it doesn't sound like it. Could be something in my technique too.

20. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Another vote for Dunlop Nylons. I use the 1mm. Great grip and feel!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020