Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup for American Standard

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jlilley, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jlilley

jlilley Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm shopping for a pickup for my American Standard (I hate the BP-100 that came on it) and was curious what other American Standard or New Standard owners have found best brings out the character of their basses.

Thanks,
    John

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On my old American standard, the Bass Max sounded okay once I got it fit correctly. On the New Standard, it didn't cut it, so I ended up with the Full Circle, which sounds great and is no hassle whatsoever.

3. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    On my NS Cleveland laminated, I think a David Gage Realist sounds best to my ears. I've also had a Bass Max (with and without a Golden Bullet mic) and a Revolution Solo on this bass. Two things to consider, what the bass sounds like without a pickup (is that the sound you're trying to reproduce?) and what is your amp setup. A lot of factors go into deciding which pickup (or mic) to use, and most of it is trial and error. Good luck, and you've definitely come to the right place for advice. Also check out the newbie links at the top of this forum, search using the name of almost any pickup and you'll find a lively discussion.

-JK

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an NS Cleveland. The Fishman Full Circle and AMT mic together sound fantastic. The Full Circle is excellent by itself as well.

5. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    John,

I don't know what type of music you are playing (arco or pizz) but I'm using a Realist on my older American Standard and a K & K Bass Max on my other one. I'm sending these signals to a GK MB 150 and then micing the bass amp with a Shure Beta 52.

I DO have to dial in the sound in each place, but I'm satisfied with the sound I'm getting from both basses. BTW, both basses are strung with gut strings.

Hope this helps,

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The Revolution Solo is working pretty well for my NS Cleveland ply bass.

7. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I have a c.1950 Am. Standard and the regular Underwood does fine. It may not be as accurate a sound as you may be looking for, but it does what I need for a loud situation without feedback. I usually have it set without the g-side in for a fatter sound. I've heard some of these which are rather loud acoustically don't amplify quite as well, so your usage may vary. Also, the better your soundpost and bridge quality and fit, the better it will amplify.

Ike

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My '60s American Standard has worn an Underwood most of the time. I've also had some luck with a BassMax, but it depends on what sound I'm after.

Tried a Realist, but it sounded kinda dead in the middle of the E string...probably more the bass than the pickup, but the Underwood's emphasis on string sound helps out with this problem.

9. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    I am using a Schertler dyn-b (with Schertler Pre A2) for both my basses. It works fantastic both with my carved one and with my old American Standard.

10. I use an underwood on both my 7/8 carved bass
    and my laminated bass. It has a great sound on
    both in my opinion. I have tried other pickups but
    the underwood has the cleanest upright sound of
    all. (also in my opinion)