1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup for funk on double bass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SteIIa, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SteIIa

SteIIa

Mar 5, 2018
    Hey ya'll,

I'm looking to turn an old bass into a bass for funk - so a loud noisy stage.

I'm thinking of picking up the Krivo Pickup but wanted to hear any advice ya'll might have.

Thanks in advance.

2. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I would start with pickups/mics you have and take it from there. I have a Krivo but very seldom use it. More important to me is controlling the volume on stage and getting the best sound out of my bass. If you do use a Krivo, you might want to blend in a piezo or contact mic to get a little less of the magnetic sound. I was just listening to Dave Holland playing some funk, and he was using an Underwood, a Realist, and a GK 200MB. Not sure what he was sending to the FOH or the amp on stage.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. Get your speaker cab away from the body/pickups and pointed up/lifted up closer to your ears.

IEM’s with bass input + ambient room mic get the clarity/balance needed at LOUD gigs to help with feedback, intonation, etc. They limit overall volume/ protects your hearing, plus no need to bring an amp/cab if running thru PA/others’ monitors (helps reduce stage volume/mic bleed/etc too).

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021